North Carolina gymnastics finishes third in tri-meet after struggles on bars

Alexis Allen Temple

Alexis Allen competes in the beam routine a Jan. 19 meet against Temple in Carmichael Arena. 

The North Carolina gymnastics team finished third in a tri-meet with N.C. State and New Hampshire in Raleigh on Saturday evening. The Tar Heels held the lead heading into the final event but finished with a score of 194.600 behind the Wildcats' and the Wolfpack's respective scores of 195.150 and 194.950.

UNC opened its meet on the beam. Led by scores of 9.725 from sophomore Emery Summey, senior Alexis Allen and first-year Elizabeth Culton, the Tar Heels finished their first event of the meet with a total score of 48.200. But that finish put North Carolina behind its two opponents after N.C. State opened the meet with a score of 48.825 on vault and New Hampshire received a score of 48.450 on bars. 

UNC then tackled the floor, where it posted its best score of the evening at 49.325. That score gave the Tar Heels a total running score of 97.525, putting them in first place for the first time in the meet, after the Wildcats stood at 97.225 and the Wolfpack at 96.675 through the first two events.

In its third event, North Carolina took on the vault, where it posted a meet-high vault score of 49.125, giving it a 146.650 total score. The Tar Heels still held a narrow lead heading into the final event, as New Hampshire maintained second place with a score of 146.325 and N.C. State managed a score of 145.550. 

But the bars would cost UNC its lead after it posted a score of 47.950 in the final event. A pair of Tar Heels, Sophie Silverstein and Mekyllah Williams, earned the two worst bar scores of the meet at 8.900 and 9.000, respectively. North Carolina’s final score of 194.600 meant the Tar Heels fell short against New Hampshire’s score of 195.150 and N.C. State’s score of 194.950.

Senior Khazia Hislop posted a score of 9.925 on vault, higher than anyone else in the meet. She also posted a score of 9.950 on the floor, tying N.C. State's Alexis Beucler for the highest score of any event for the day. 

After falling behind in the first event, the Tar Heels were able to gain the lead and maintain it heading into the final event. But a poor performance from North Carolina on bars saw both the Wildcats and the Wolfpack overtake UNC. 

With the defeats against N.C. State and New Hampshire, North Carolina has now lost four straight for an overall record of 4-5 on the season. 

The Tar Heels will be back in action on Monday when they host New Hampshire in Chapel Hill at 6 p.m. 

@emilythoreson