Previewing UNC men's basketball matchup with No. 5 Florida State

Carter_BballvBC.jpg

First-year guard Cole Anthony (2) comes out of the game smiling during the game against Boston College on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020. UNC lost to Boston College 71-70. 

After a disappointing 71-70 loss against Boston College to go back under .500, the North Carolina men’s basketball team is looking for a much-needed win on the road against No. 5 Florida State on Monday. 

Here are three things the Tar Heels need to do in Tallahassee in order to get back to winning ways. 

Three-point shooting on both sides

In FSU’s last matchup, a 74-63 victory on the road against Virginia Tech, Devin Vassell shot seven of seven from beyond the arc, tying an ACC record. The Tar Heels will look to limit Vassell’s 3-point opportunities on Monday, as well as the rest of the Seminoles. Florida State shoots 36.1 percent from 3-point range, the fourth-highest mark in the ACC. This may prove to be a challenge for the Tar Heels, who currently rank 200th in the country in defending the deep ball. 

Offensively, UNC will look to knock down some deep balls through Cole Anthony and Brandon Robinson. Robinson is shooting 35.3 percent from 3-point range, behind Vassell for the fifth-highest mark in the ACC. 

Adjusting to Anthony

North Carolina has been plagued by injuries so far this season. Going into the game against Boston College, seven different Tar Heels had missed a combined 65 games due to injury, the highest number in the Roy Williams era.

One of UNC’s biggest losses due to injury was first-year Cole Anthony, who suffered a knee injury back in December that sidelined him for seven weeks. He came back to action for the Tar Heels against Boston College, but his return did not go as smoothly as UNC would have hoped. 

Anthony was able to contribute individually, posting a game-high 26 points and shooting 14 for 14 at the free throw line. But Anthony’s return seemed to disrupt the play of the Tar Heels, who had gone 11 games without him. UNC was riding a two-game win streak prior to its loss against the Eagles, and in those two wins shot 54 percent from the floor. But in the loss to Boston College, the Tar Heels shot just 36 percent from the floor. 

To get a win against the Seminoles, North Carolina will have to adjust to Anthony as he shakes off any remaining rust.

Winning on the road

North Carolina currently has a 2-4 record on the road. The Tar Heels will be looking to improve that statistic against the Seminoles, but it will take some work. The Seminoles are 18-3 on the season, including a perfect 10-0 record at home. 

UNC leads the series against Florida State 50-13, but the last two meetings between the teams have been split. In the 2017-2018 season, FSU pulled off a narrow 81-80 win in Tallahassee, and last season the Tar Heels walked away with a 77-59 win at the Smith Center. 

The Tar Heels desperately need a resume-boosting victory over Florida State if they want a chance at making it to the NCAA Tournament. And with a matchup against Duke in Chapel Hill next on the calendar, a win against the Seminoles would give UNC a dose of much-needed momentum heading into its first rivalry matchup of the season against the Blue Devils.

@emilythoreson