UNC men's relay team enters history books with performance at JDL DMR Invitational

track and field Duke
The UNC track and field team competed against Duke on Saturday, April 6, 2019, in Durham at Duke University.

The men’s 4x400 relay team made its way into the history books on Friday as the North Carolina track and field team competed in the two-day JDL DMR Invitational over the weekend in Winston Salem, N.C.

North Carolina competed in just one event on Friday, but it was arguably the team's most impressive showing on the weekend. In the men’s 4x400 distance medley relay, the team's time of 9:50.06 was the fifth-fastest in UNC history.

In the men’s mile run on Saturday, the Tar Heels nabbed six of the top 10 spots. Senior Luke Peterson led the way, as he finished second with a time of 4:15.82. In third place was first-year Michael Spragley with a time of 4:18.27, followed by junior Jake McEneaney and sophomore Ryan Combs in fourth and fifth. 

First-year Dalton McGlamery finished with a time of 4:23.81 and earned eighth place. Rounding out heat one was junior Andrew Brooks, who finished ninth with a time of 4:24.07.

The men’s 400-meter dash saw two Tar Heels finish first and second overall. Senior Ari Cogdell finished with a time of 48.79, and junior Jadon Johnson finished hot on the heels of his teammate with a time of 49.23 that claimed second place. 

In the men’s 60-meter dash qualifiers, senior Marcus Krah won heat four with a time of 7.16, which helped him advance to the finals later Saturday. There, Krah finished with a season-best time of 7.04 and earned a fourth-place finish. 

The men’s relay team of Jesse Hunt, Brandon Cachon, Isaiah Palmer and Alex Milligan captured the fifth-fastest time in the event in UNC history on Friday. 

Also, in the men’s mile, Peterson, Spragley, McEnaney, Combs, McGlamery and Brooks contributed to a productive Saturday for North Carolina.

In the 60-meter dash, Krah finished with a time of 7.04 but was just 0.04 seconds away from a second-place finish.

Head coach Chris Miltenberg has stressed confidence to the team and more team-oriented running.  The results seem to indicate that this is working, as North Carolina continues to get better as the season progresses. 

The Tar Heels are improving at the right time, as the ACC Indoor Championships are next, and with stout competition ahead, a meet like this must improve team confidence and morale.

The ACC Indoor Championships will be hosted in South Bend, Indiana, starting Thursday at noon and running through Saturday.

@A_ReynoldsDTH