CHCCS adjusts calendar, plans remote instruction in response to coronavirus fears

schools-emergency-response_02122020_collins3.JPG
As a precaution against the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus) Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools announced Thursday it will make Monday, March 16; Tuesday, March 17 and Wednesday, March 18 optional teach work days and have spring break from Thursday, March 19 to April 3. Students will then begin remote learning in hopes of returning to class on Monday, April 6.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools announced changes to its calendar Thursday in response to concerns about coronavirus.

According to a letter from Superintendent Pam Baldwin, Monday, March 16, Tuesday, March 17, and Wednesday, March 18 will now be optional teacher workdays, meaning students won't come to school. These days will prepare teachers for a "prolonged period of extended learning."

Spring break will then begin on Thursday, March 19 and run until Friday, March 27. After that, students will begin learning from home until April 6.

"However, we understand the severity of the current situation and there are still many unknowns," the letter said. "That date could be altered depending on many factors."

Starting on March 16, all school facilities will be closed to the public. The district is making plans for feeding sites throughout the community to address student nutrition needs.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major. 

More in Education