What you need to know about UNC's coronavirus travel policy before spring break

Students who do not report travel may be subject to action by Office of Student Conduct

20200302_CoronaVirus_Berenfeld-1.JPG

DTH Photo Illustration. A UNC student holds a suitcase and a surgical mask on campus on Tuesday, March 3, 2020. The coronavirus has cancelled various study abroad programs. 

Students traveling for spring break to states with a coronavirus state of emergency may be asked to self-quarantine off campus for 14 days when they return to UNC. 

Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz announced this and other coronavirus-related updates in a campus-wide email Wednesday night. The email also said students, faculty and staff returning from certain countries, including Italy and South Korea, will be asked to self-quarantine off campus for 14 days. 

The University is asking students to accurately self-report their travel to these areas — and if they don't, they could be subject to action by the Office of Student Conduct, according to an email from University Media Relations. 

Students who travel to these areas on non-University-affiliated trips will not receive University-excused absences for the 14 days they are in quarantine, the email said. 

Here's what you need to know about the University's policy before you travel for spring break: 

Where am I not supposed to travel? 

The University has halted UNC-affiliated travel to countries with Level 3 (Avoid Nonessential Travel) advisories from the State Department and Centers for Disease Control — China, South Korea, Iran and Italy. 

UNC has travel restrictions on Japan, which has a Level 2 (Practice Enhanced Precautions) advisory. 

University-affiliated travel to states that have declared a coronavirus state of emergency is restricted, Guskiewcz said in the Wednesday email. 

How do I know if I'll be asked to self-quarantine? 

Any students, faculty or staff returning from countries that have Level 2 or 3 travel advisories from the CDC will be asked to self-quarantine for 14 days off campus, according to a campus-wide email sent Wednesday night. 

If you travel somewhere and it becomes a Level 3 country while you're there, the email said you will also be subject to self-quarantine. 

The email said the University may ask you to self-quarantine for 14 days if you travel to a state where a coronavirus-related state of emergency has been declared. 

Which states have declared coronavirus-related states of emergency? 

So far, Washington, Florida, Hawaii and California have declared states of emergency. 

How will the University know where I travel? 

The University monitors UNC-affiliated travel and asks anyone traveling personally to self-report, according to an email from University Media Relations. 

What happens if I don't accurately report my travel? What happens if I do not quarantine myself for 14 days when asked? 

The student may be subject to action by the Office of Student Conduct in either case, according to the email. 

What should I do if I have to self-quarantine for 14 days? 

The email said any student who needs support while under self-quarantine can make arrangements for classwork by contacting the Office of the Dean of Students. 

Will my absences be excused if I'm self-quarantining? 

Students who are asked to self-quarantine after personal travel will not receive University-approved absences, the email said. If a student is quarantined upon returning from University-affiliated travel, they "may receive up to 14 days of University-approved absences." 

"Regardless of the reason for travel, we encourage students to reach out to their instructor as soon as possible to work through the details," Media Relations said in the email. 

For updates on how UNC is responding to coronavirus, check the University's designated website.