Tar Heels in the pros: Checking in with NBA rookies at (maybe) the end of the season

Coby White Louisville ACC
First-year guard Coby White (2) pushes pass defenders for a layup against Louisville in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament on Thursday, March 14, 2019 at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, N.C. UNC defeated Louisville 83-70 to advance to the semifinals.

With the current NBA season suspended indefinitely due to the spread of the coronavirus, we may have seen the last of the three UNC rookies this year. 

Despite their presumably shortened seasons, Coby White, Cameron Johnson and Nassir Little all saw at least a decent amount of playing time, and all provided at least a couple highlights. 

Coby White

The transition to the NBA hasn't been the smoothest for White. Yet, he's proved capable at doing the thing he's consistently done in high school, college and now the NBA: get buckets. 

His averages and shooting splits might not stand out — 13.2 points per game on 39.4 percent from the field and 35.4 percent from 3-point range — but the Goldsboro native turned his jets on high in the month of February, when he was named Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month. 

Since Feb. 1, White averaged 20.9 points, 4 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.4 turnovers on 43.4 percent shooting and 37.4 percent from 3. He also had a streak of three straight 30-point games, becoming the first rookie in NBA history to do so off the bench and the first Bulls rookie since fellow Tar Heel Michael Jordan to have back-to-back 30-point games. 

Still, there have been some issues as White figures out the balance between scoring and facilitating. His shot selection still needs improvement, and at times he's looked apprehensive taking contact at the rim, instead settling for mid-range shots.

It remains unseen how well White would do as a full-time starter, only starting what might be the last game of his rookie season. But despite his early season woes, White proved his blinding speed, step-back jumper and slick behind-the-back dribble will keep him in the league and keep him scoring buckets for a long time. 

Best Highlight

Rating: Wow, bro, that's crazy

Cameron Johnson

The sweetest shooter at UNC since Reggie Bullock, Johnson is currently second in 3-point percentage among rookies with more than 50 attempts at 39.7 percent. It may have seemed like a reach by the Suns when he was drafted with the 11th pick, but his role was clear the minute he was picked: shoot when open. 

The 6-foot-8 forward has done just that, taking a little under five 3-point attempts per game — shots from long distance account for over 70 percent of his shots taken this season. Johnson was out with mononucleosis for the last three games before the abrupt suspension of the NBA, but in his prior 11 games, Johnson was averaging 9.2 points and 2.3 made threes a game, shooting 41.5 percent from the floor and 39.7 percent from deep. 

His career high came in what might be the last game of the season, scoring 21 points in a loss to Toronto on 7-16 shooting and 5-13 from 3. 

Best Highlight

Rating: Don't jump with dudes from North Carolina

Nassir Little

Little has had a relatively uneventful first year as a professional, playing in just 48 games. Transitioning full time into a small-ball power forward, Little landed with the Blazers, who have opted to keep his minutes low, even on a team that lacked quality wings. 

Little averages 3.6 points, 2.3 rebounds and 0.5 assists on 43 percent shooting. He struggled even more from distance than he did in college, shooting just 23.7 percent from three. 

Still, the explosive forward showed some promise with his offensive rebounding and physical defense. It's possible he comes back next year with a better looking shot and a little more court awareness and can earn a larger role. 

Best Highlight

Rating: To steal a line from the great Walt Frazier — Little cruising and bruising for the and-1. 

@bg_keyes