Office DJ: Powerful women run the world

Standley-1.jpg
The Daily Tar Heel's Copy Chief & Social Media Manager Brandon Standley poses for a portrait on March 4, 2020. Standley, class of 2021, is a public relations and psychology double major.

Beyoncé Knowles once asked, "Who run the world?" and responded, correctly, to her own question with "girls." 

What could be more powerful than that? 

My entire life I've been surrounded by powerful women who awe and inspire me. 

Powerful women in my life have come in many forms. For instance, both of my bosses at Carolina Housing and at The Daily Tar Heel are some of the most hardcore people I know — especially because they have to put up with me and that's no easy task. 

Another set of powerful women, who understand the magnitude of having to put up with me, would include members of my family. Both my sister and my mom inspire me every day (mom, I'm more than proud of you for getting your master's [and working on your second,] and Erin you are THRIVING in grad school — and that's no easy task.) 

Of course, powerful women in my life extend further than just my family and coworkers. Women like my best friend, Amanda, who just today got another acceptance into graduate school and my other best friend, Sophie, who supervises a wellness store, both show their power daily in different forms. 

I can't name every single powerful woman who has impacted my life, otherwise I'd be writing a novel rather than a column, but I will say I'm in their presence daily. 

Women like my copy assistants and staffers who work tirelessly to make our product look as perfect as possible; women like my professors who teach me both subjects and methods that transform my perspective; and women who lead people all around me, like the mayor of Carrboro and the mayor of Chapel Hill, are part of my day-to-day, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. 

I think it's fair to say: I'm surrounded by great power, whether at Craige Residence Hall, where over half our total staff is women, or at UNC as a whole where the female-identifying student population is well above that of male-identifying students. That great power has inspired me to break boundaries and to stay strong even in the face of adversity.

And although I'm not a woman, and could never accurately relate and compare aspects of discrimination and inequity in my life to that of what many women face every day — I can draw inspiration from them on how to deal with said topics. I think we can all agree that many of them are bountiful when it comes to resources and knowledge, in more aspects than one — which feeds into their enhanced power.

And, without fail: With women's great power, comes great music.

So, in sum, for this Office DJ, I'm tasking you to remember who "Run the World," recognize who the most "Brave" person in the room often is, let them offer you some "Motivation," and jam out to the newly-dubbed genre of "Pretty Girl Rock" with this week's playlist: Powerful Women. 

Oh, and happy Women's History Month. Remember to celebrate the important women in your life, because let's be honest, where would we be without them? 

@branstans

copy@dailytarheel.com

Brandon Standley

Brandon Standley is the editorial managing editor of The Daily Tar Heel. He is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying public relations and psychology.