Notes from the first two rounds of our crowdsourced UNC basketball bracket

Bill Guthridge upsets Coby White, and more from the rounds of 64 and 32.

Jerry Stackhouse dunk

Jerry Stackhouse (UNC #42) dunking at UNC-Chapel Hill versus Duke University basketball game at Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC; negatives labeled "Jerry Stackhouse - print."

UNC v. Duke basketball, Jerry Stackhouse dunk, in the Hugh Morton Photographs and Films #P0081, copyright 1993-1995, North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library.

Hello, friends.

In case you haven't heard, the NCAA Tournament was cancelled this year due to COVID-19 — but that doesn't mean March Madness is totally gone. We here at the DTH put together a 64-person bracket of the most important figures in UNC basketball history (vote here). 

With the first two rounds wrapped up, let's take a look at all the notable moments from the first "weekend," and who's left standing in the Sweet 16.

Round of 64

• Our four No. 1 seeds — Dean Smith, Roy Williams, Michael Jordan and Tyler Hansbrough — were all unanimous winners in the first round, with nary a vote going against them. Understandable. If someone picked James Michael McAdoo over His Airness, we would've had a serious problem.
  • No love for Matt Doherty, who falls at the hands of Danny Green and becomes the only coach in the field to suffer a first-round exit. It wasn't particularly close, either.
  • A few results that might raise eyebrows: Joel Berry over Kenny Smith, Wayne Ellington over Ed Cota and Kendall Marshall over Bob McAdoo. Recency bias, valuing team success over individual accolades, or both?
  • Charlie Scott handled first-year guard Cole Anthony in the first round, collecting 84 percent of votes. 
  • No love for the great Tyler Zeller, either, who doesn't collect a single vote against Vince Carter. Tough scene.
  • Sean May garners 89 percent of votes in an easy win over Brendan Haywood. Now seems like as good a time as any to mention that I didn’t include May's teammate, Rashad McCants, in this bracket, because, well...yeah.
  • The highest-seeded to not win unanimously in the first round was James Worthy, who lost to Mitch Kupchak. Also, whichever one of you voted for Isaiah Hicks over Phil Ford...I'd like a word.
  • Theo Pinson edges out Harrison Barnes, while Eric Montross handles Brice Johnson to advance. More examples of #RINGZ culture?
  • I don't know about y'all, but I had Coby White making a deep run in this tournament. The hair, the hot shooting, the meme-ability...he's got it all. Unfortunately, my pick was but more proof that I suck at filling out brackets. White fell in the first round to Bill Guthridge.

Round of 32

• Roy, Dean and MJ all remain flawless, while Hansbrough wins comfortably, but not unanimously, against Montross to advance.
  • Frank McGuire, meanwhile, becomes the second coach to exit the field, falling to Sam Perkins.
  • Lennie Rosenbluth cruises past Joel Berry for a Sweet 16 berth. Along with Billy Cunningham, he'll be one of the two oldest players in the field to make it to the third round.
  • Why do we love March Madness? The guard battles, of course...and in what we can only presume would be a perimeter clash for the ages, Jerry Stackhouse takes a close one against Raymond Felton. I wonder if he did anything approaching this.
  • Luke Maye’s tournament run comes to an end against James Worthy, while Sean May shuts out Shammond Williams to advance.
  • Network execs are salivating at thought of an impending Ty Lawson/Tyler Hansbrough matchup — the two won a national title together in 2009 — after Lawson knocked off Rasheed Wallace in the second round.
  • Finally, after handling Coby White in round one, Bill Guthridge continues his run with a victory over Rick Fox. Onions!

Take a look at the third round games below, and make sure to cast your votes here to help determine the greatest UNC basketball players/coaches of all time.

Sweet 16 matchups

Dean Smith/Sam Perkins

Lennie Rosenbluth/Charlie Scott

Michael Jordan/Jerry Stackhouse

James Worthy/Sean May

Roy Williams/Vince Carter

Phil Ford/Bill Guthridge

Tyler Hansbrough/Ty Lawson

Antawn Jamison/Billy Cunningham

@ryantwilcox