Take a look at what has changed for UNC since its last matchup with Duke

20200208_Duong_DukevUNC-11.jpg
UNC first-year guard Cole Anthony runs the ball upcourt past Duke sophomore guard Tre Jones during a game in the Smith Center during Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020. The Tar Heels lost tot he Blue Devils 98-96.

The Tobacco Road rivalry continues on Saturday as UNC and Duke meet for the second time this season. Cameron Indoor Stadium will be rocking as the Blue Devils look to give their seniors a win against their bitter rival in their final home game.

With the large implications regarding the postseason and North Carolina playing its best basketball of the season, there is a good amount more hype surrounding the second installment of UNC-Duke. UNC came into the first matchup on a two-game losing streak with the offense struggling to put up points even after the return of Cole Anthony.

The feeling coming into the second matchup is much different.

This time, UNC comes in riding a three-game win streak, its longest since starting the season 5-0. A huge reason is the incredible play of Anthony and Garrison Brooks, igniting an offense that has been dormant most of the year. 

Anthony has shown big improvements in his efficiency. He has shot nearly 60 percent and has made 11 threes over the past two games. His decision-making has also taken a step forward, with limited turnovers and him getting his teammates more involved. Anthony is no longer trying to do everything himself, and seems to have a grasp of the North Carolina offense.

Brooks, meanwhile, has been the Tar Heels’ most consistent player all season. After battling through an eye injury suffered in the first meeting against Duke, he has scored at least 25 points in his past three games, forming a one-two punch with Anthony that helped the duo tally over 70 points each over that stretch.

With Duke trying to regain its groove after losing three of its last five, UNC’s play has generated excitement among the fan base that they can pull off the upset, especially with the heavy implications of the regular season finale. 

North Carolina has a chance to boost its confidence even more heading into an ACC Tournament that it needs to win in order to qualify for the NCAA Tournament. The Tar Heels will look to win five games in five days, which has never been done in the history of the conference; a momentum-building victory against the Blue Devils would likely help them do it.

The Tar Heels also have a chance to play spoiler and lower Duke’s seeding. The Blue Devils currently sit at third in the conference, but another loss could lower them to the fourth seed if Virginia wins its finale.

Duke knows it'll be getting a different UNC team from the one that took them to overtime in the first meeting. The Tar Heels are now mostly healthy after being ravaged by injuries all season long. Brandon Robinson, who missed the game in Chapel Hill, is back to old form, scoring 18 points on his Senior Night. He brings solid 3-point and free throw shooting to the team, both things that cost UNC in Duke’s dramatic comeback victory.  

The Tar Heels have shown throughout history an ability to play their best against Duke no matter how much talent is at their disposal. Their best came up short last time, but now the Tar Heels have proven that they've figured some things out, especially on the offensive end of the floor. 

With a healthy roster and newfound confidence, UNC could ride its current momentum into a gigantic victory. 

@ryanheller23