Seniors lead the way as UNC gymnastics posts season-high score in senior night win

Khazia Hislop gymnastics beam Towson

Sophomore Khazia Hislop competes in the beam event against Towson University on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019 in Carmichael Arena.

The North Carolina gymnastics team (7-5) did not disappoint its fans and seniors on Friday night when it reached its highest overall score of the season to beat George Washington University 196.325-195.500.

On UNC’s senior night, the veterans proved their position as leaders of the team with some incredible routines in Carmichael Arena.

The Tar Heels started the night off strong on the vault, posting a team score of 49.100. Seniors Khazia Hislop and Mikayla Robinson placed first and third with scores of 9.900 and 9.850, respectively. The high score on the vault gave the Tar Heels a small lead going into the second event.

For the second rotation, the team performed on the uneven bars, one of UNC’s weaker events this year. The team earned its second-highest score of the season on the bars thanks to senior Grace Donaghy and first-year Hannah Nam tying for third place with scores of 9.800.

Similarly, the Tar Heels also had their second-highest team score of the season on the balance beam at 49.075. Senior Alexis Allen and Hislop, as well as first-year Elizabeth Culton, all tied for first place on this event with a score of 9.825.

The final event for the Tar Heels was the floor. Hislop and Robinson tied for first place at 9.900 for the event, while junior Lily Dean claimed third and achieved a season-high score of 9.875. Senior Jamie Antinori added to the team score with her season-high of 9.825. The floor event cemented UNC’s win over George Washington and the highest overall team score of the season.

On a night when the meet was intended to honor the seniors' hard work and accomplishments, the team's leaders carried the squad to the Tar Heels' best score of the season.

Brushing off the imaginary dust from her shoulders, Allen nailed her routine on the beam, scoring 9.825, just shy of her career-high mark of 9.875.

The epitome of calm and collected, Hislop performed her routine and earned a 9.825, while Robinson tumbled and flipped her way to a 9.900 on the floor and a 9.850 on the vault.

Like most of the team's meets this season, the gymnasts stole the show on their last event of the night: the floor. Both Hislop and Robinson tied for first place on the floor with a score of 9.900, and Dean followed closely behind to take third with a score of 9.875.

Besides reaching their highest score of the season, the Tar Heels have shown a steady increase in scores within the last three meets.

As a result, the team has extended its three-meet winning streak that started on Feb. 17 against New Hampshire. This consistency is coming at an ideal time for the team with the EAGL Championship just three weeks away. 

With Friday’s meet being the last regular season home event, the Tar Heels will head to Ball State on March 8, the team’s first of two away meets ahead of the EAGL Championship. 

@sarahgraybarr