UNC places seventh in men's swimming and diving ACC Championship

DTH_Sequence-20191025_Cofield_Swim_005.jpg

Head Coach Mark Gangloff overlooks the swim team as they compete with Georgia on Friday, Oct. 25, 2019 in Koury Natatorium. Georgia beat UNC's women 176-124 and men 163-137. 

This past week, the North Carolina men’s swimming and diving team (Dual meet record: 3-4, 1-2 ACC) competed in the ACC Championship at the Greensboro Aquatic Center. Strong swims throughout the tournament — coupled with a good performance from the divers the week prior — saw the Tar Heels finish in seventh place, three better than last year. 

The week before the men’s swim championship began, the male divers had their tournament. Solid performances from first-years Fabian Stepinski and Alex Hart meant that the swim team would begin the tournament in third place.

The swimming began on Wednesday, with Tar Heels securing seventh and eighth-place finishes in the 800-yard freestyle relay and 200-yard medley relay respectively. On Thursday, UNC kept up the strong swims, placing fifth in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Junior Dimitrios Dimitriou also performed well, coming eighth in the 500-yard freestyle. Even with good swims, stiff competition meant that North Carolina had fallen to sixth by Thursday’s end.

Friday saw two podium finishes and personal bests for the Tar Heels. Sophomore Tomas Sungaila finished third in the 200-yard freestyle, with his time tying a team record. Junior Valdas Abaliksta placed second in the 100-yard breaststroke, and his time of 52.00 set a new team record. The Tar Heels closed the day in seventh place overall.

On Saturday, the last day of the meet, North Carolina was able to keep good swims coming. Abaliksta and junior Chris Thames placed seventh in the 200-yard breaststroke and 200-yard backstroke, respectively. With the Tar Heels placing fifth in the 400-yard freestyle relay and junior Jack Messenger tying for third in the 100-yard freestyle, North Carolina was able to close the meet at seventh place.

Abaliksta was one of the standout swimmers of the tournament for the Tar Heels. In addition to his record-setting podium finish, he placed seventh in the 200-yard breaststroke event. He also participated well in team events, contributing to the fifth-place 200-yard freestyle relay and sixth-place 400-yard medley relay. 

Sungaila, with his third-place finish and record-equaling time, also shined during the tournament. He was a member of the 400-yard medley relay team, as well as the team that took fifth in the 400-yard freestyle relay on Saturday. He also helped the Tar Heels to a seventh place finish in the 800-yard freestyle relay.

The team could not be certain of where they would finish until the last day of competition. Thanks to strong solo and team events on Saturday, the Tar Heels were able to leave Greensboro at seventh place, maintaining their position from the day before.

This year has been a year of transition for the Tar Heels. With both head swimming coach Mark Gangloff and head diving coach Yaidel Gamboa joining coming on this season, the coaching staff saw a complete overhaul. Naturally, there were questions as to how the team would gel in the wake of this revamp.

This tournament answered those questions. Finishing three places above last year’s tenth-place finish and scoring 242 more points than last year showed how well the coaches and players were able to mesh and get the job done. Now, it is a matter of carrying this energy and growth forward into the NCAA Championships and the next season.

The full team will see its last action of the season at March’s NCAA Championships. The divers will compete in Athens, Ga. from March 9-11, and the women will compete in Athens from March 18-21. The men’s team will see its last action in Indianapolis, Ind. from March 25-28.

@pjdaman12