Column: What I'm reading and what I recommend

20200120_Edwards_headshots-5.jpg

Maddie Ellis, assistant Arts & Culture editor, pictured on Monday, Jan. 20, 2020. 

Under North Carolina’s stay-at-home order, I feel compelled to force myself to be productive. Whether that’s getting ahead on homework, cleaning out everything or being active, my inner type 2w3 wants to make a to-do list and check everything off. 

But it’s just not that easy. 

In this situation, I am struggling to separate work, school and home more than ever, because now it’s all happening under one roof.

Taylor Lorenz recently wrote an article called “Stop Trying to Be Productive,” and it was exactly what I needed to hear. 

So I’m putting down my phone and its anxiety-inducing news notifications, and instead picking up a book.

Here’s what's on my reading list now: 

• "Normal People" by Sally Rooney

So far, this book is about two people living their lives and struggling to fit their relationship into their changing lives and personalities. It's love story meets coming-of-age tale, for something poignant and almost painfully relatable. Plus, an adaptation is set to premiere April 29 on Hulu. 

• "Red at the Bone" by Jacqueline Woodson

This is a fast-paced and heartwarming look at the individual lives that make up a family, and how they got to this one important moment in time. 

• “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J.K. Rowling

Confession: In elementary school, I never actually finished the last book in the Harry Potter series. I remember my elementary-school self thinking that if they are no longer at Hogwarts, why do I care? 

To amend this, I am finally going to finish the series. (I’m going to start with “Half-Blood Prince” — as a refresher.)

• "Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion" by Jia Tolentino

Sometimes I prefer essays to novels. Here, Tolentino offers a captivating look at the layers of self-delusion immersed in our culture, from athleisure to the internet. 

• "Trust Exercise" by Susan Choi

After Barack Obama put this on his list of best books of 2019, I was intrigued. This book promises to start simple, before embarking on a series of twists and turns, leaving all perspectives in doubt. 

• "The Revisioners" by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton

Before reading this multigenerational story, read more about Sexton and her inspiration behind the novel. 

• "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Marquez’s magic realism might be just what we all need. 

• "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace 

Kidding. But ask me later, and this 1,079-page book might be next on my list. 

Here’s what I recommend: 

• If you are debating rereading the “Twilight” series, again (subscribe to our online newsletter for more “Twilight”-centric musings) — try “The Host”

I would argue this is Stephenie Meyer’s best work. It has everything: drama, mythical creatures and a movie adaptation starring Saoirse Ronan. 

• If you want to settle in for a longer read to pass the time — "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver

This is easily one of my favorite books of all time. It centers on the a family of missionaries and addresses themes of imperialism and post-colonialism in a fast-moving plot with a fascinating set of characters.

• "The Feminine Mystique" by Betty Friedan

Read about second-wave feminism, then watch the new show “Mrs. America” about the fight to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment on Hulu, set to premiere April 15. 

• "Flipped" by Wendelin Van Draanen

Ah, the origin story of all of my unrealistic expectations about love, from sixth grade and beyond. 

• "The White Album" by Joan Didion

For fans of essays and memoir, this is a fascinating look at the end of the 1960s. 

And if you’re feeling really ambitious, you can always try the Rory Gilmore approach. 

@madelinellis