Rumors: The best consignment shop in Chapel Hill

The outside of Rumors Chapel Hill thrift boutique. Courtesy of Elizabeth Mendoza and Brennan Cumalander.

Looking to find a trendy new outfit on a college student budget? Or want to make some money by selling your stylish pieces? Rumors is the place to go. According to our readers, Rumors is the premiere thrift boutique in downtown Chapel Hill. 

The Rumors staff buys, sells and trades pieces to offer a wide variety of clothing items at affordable prices. Rumors customers can also have the confidence that the pieces they select have been pre-approved as stylish by the store’s buyers, since all of the pieces are handpicked.

“Rumors is a place customers can feel comfortable trying on a new look, without having to break the bank or go to a handful of stores that might be out of their comfort zone,” wrote Rumors store owners Casey Longyear and Marsche Wyche in a joint statement. 

The uniqueness of Rumors and its community makes it such a special addition to Chapel Hill.

“One of my favorite parts about Rumors is that it was founded on friendship, and each school year I see friendships being created every semester in Rumors,” wrote store owners Longyear and Wyche in a joint-statement. 

“Whether people bond over liking Rumors, or getting compliments on a piece they got there, or they recognize someone in the store that they have a class with, so many people tell me they found their circles through the Rumors web. Rumors is much more than a clothing store to the people who shop here.”