'You can build on your body': Surratt on how UNC football is improving in quarantine

20190928_Edwards_UNCClemson_DTH-169.jpg

Senior safety Myles Dorn (1) and junior linebacker Chazz Surratt (21) tackle Clemson's Travis Etienne (9) on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019 in Kenan Memorial Stadium. UNC lost its bid to upset Clemson's 19-game-winning streak 21-20. 

With the spread of COVID-19 leading to the cancellation of spring practice for the North Carolina football team, junior linebacker Chazz Surratt is looking to improve despite social distancing mandates.

After deciding to forgo the NFL draft to play out his final year of eligibility, Surratt said that he has looked to make the best of what has been an unconventional offseason. He said he has been training with his brother Sage, a wide receiver at Wake Forest, at his off-campus home in Chapel Hill.

“He’s pushing me, and I’m working him hard, too,” Surratt said. “To have a guy that I can kind of gauge with has been good.”

With the team bringing back a second-year coaching staff and a barrage of starters on both sides of the ball, Surratt said that a shorter transition into the season should be eased with an established level of comfort within the program. 

“We’ve got some experience under our belt, so it’s not like we’re trying to learn stuff for the first time,” Surratt said. “We can just build on what we’ve already started.”

While there will certainly be a challenge for North Carolina in facing a shortened preseason, the Tar Heels will likely have a smoother transition returning leaders from the 2019 campaign, like Surratt and quarterback Sam Howell.

Surratt said that leadership from Brian Hess, strength and conditioning coach, and his staff has been key in propelling the Tar Heels forward in their progression despite social distancing mandates keeping athletes away from campus.  

“Coach Hess and his staff are doing a great job of attacking this time period, they’re doing everything they can to get us ready to play in the fall,” Surratt said. “A lot of guys are buying in still.” 

Surratt's focus is still on the team’s goals moving forward, and he hopes to use this period of social distancing to prime himself for another breakout campaign in 2020. 

“This two or three months, however long we’re in this period, you’re either going to get better or you’re going to get worse,” Surratt said. “You can really train like a professional for the next three months.”

Coming off the heels of the program’s first bowl victory since 2013, Surratt said the team has its eyes on reaching an even higher standard in the upcoming season. 

“For the players, I know it’s to win the Coastal and win the ACC Championship,” Surratt said. “We have the talent and experience to really do it this year so I know everybody’s anxious to get back to work.” 

With UNC being listed as a possible top-25 team for the start of next season, Surratt said that he hopes the Tar Heels efforts throughout this period of social distancing leaves them with an upper hand when the season kicks off. 

“If you really take advantage of this time, you can build on your body, build on yourself as a player,” Surratt said. “If everybody does that during this time, I think we’ll have a head start on the rest of the country.” 

@zachycrain