CHCCS commits to paying staff providing meals to students amidst COVID-19 outbreak

orange county schools meeting

Patrick Abele, assistant superintendent of Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools speaks at a meeting on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020. The Orange County Schools Board of Education met with CHCCS to discuss pre-K and school building maintenance. 

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board agreed last week to institute incentivized pay for school bus drivers and nutritional workers who are providing meals to students in the district during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

As CHCCS continues to support this program through the pandemic, Acting Superintendent Patrick Abele said it is essential that safety protocols are maintained.

Abele said from the moment the lunch program was created, bus drivers and nutritional workers in the CHCCS system volunteered to help provide meals for students. He said high-risk workers were not eligible to participate, but for workers who were leaving their homes, he felt it was important to provide monetary compensation for their work.

“All of us wanted to try to do something for employees and recognize our employees and certainly those who are not staying at home because they're providing mandatory and essential functions,” he said.

The decision to institute additional pay for workers distributing meals came at the same time Durham Public Schools ended their school lunch program through the pandemic. Chip Sudderth, chief communication officer for DPS, said the district was diligent about its health protocols, providing protective equipment, maintaining social distance and testing the temperatures of their workers before they distributed the meals.

Despite this, he said it became apparent the program was no longer a viable option.

“First of all, employees were communicating to us increased unease about continuing to work the program as the extent of the coronavirus crisis become more apparent," he said. "In addition, the new emergency leave that was passed by the state gave employees who were at high risk or had child care concerns the opportunity to take leave in April with no loss in pay. The sheer number of employees applying for that leave made it clear we did not have the manpower to sustain the program.”

Sudderth also said a DPS worker contracted COVID-19, prompting the school system to immediately reach out to those who worked in close contact with the worker. However, he said the decision to shut down the lunch program was ultimately due to the increased concern of workers.

Abele said he hopes to avoid canceling the CHCCS lunch program by following protocol and offering more protective equipment.

“Certainly as things have progressed and especially hearing about the operation in Durham, we're making sure we have protective equipment gear — face masks or face shields and gloves — for all of the individuals that are serving meals in the community,” he said.

Jeff McVey, a bus driver for CHCCS and a participant in the bus lunch program, said despite the pandemic, the protocols and provisions the school system has taken have made him feel safe. 

“I feel okay about it," he said. "You know, it's in the back of my mind, like probably a lot of us. You know, I have to just say, 'Okay, well we try to keep our distance a little bit until this thing is over.'”

McVey said since the project began, the school system has shut down the break room to prevent congregations of workers and has checked their temperatures before each shift. 

Abele said if a worker contracted the virus, CHCCS would close down their programs and institute other measures to continue meeting community need.

McVey said this project has been a positive experience that has offered him the chance to work in times of economic uncertainty and connect with people in the community.

“It's a rewarding experience, especially on the personal level," he said. "I'm glad I’m there to be able to do it, and I'm glad I was asked.”

More in Education