Office DJ: Let's be honest, it's sad girl hours

Image from iOS.jpg

Assistant University Editor Hannah Lang. Photo courtesy of Hannah Lang. 

Listen. This is a safe space. You don’t have to pretend that you’re trying to keep a positive attitude, or doing some great self-reflection lately, or actually working out a lot more since quarantine started. 

There’s something to be said about making the best of a bad situation, but I’ll say it: a lot of things suck right now. It’s very valid if you feel like life sucks right now. 

Technically, I’m on the cusp of being a millennial, but I am a true Gen Z-er in the sense that I deal with the difficult parts of my life in only four ways:

• Iced coffee
  • The internet
  • Making uncomfortable jokes about my parents’ divorce 
  • Sad girl music

I’m finally putting this terrible and unhealthy set of coping mechanisms to good use with a playlist for you all.

Sometimes you just need to get in your feelings and listen to sad, angsty music to make all of those feelings worse and more intense. 

Look desperately out a rainy window if you’d like. Bathe yourself in another layer of self-pity. Cut your own bangs. It’s all part of the self-soothing experience.

I invite you to indulge in this egregious display of melancholy with me. The following playlist pairs nicely with a four-hour TikTok binge, another side comment from your dad about how you sleep too much or the gentle reminder that you’re about to graduate into the worst economy since the Great Depression with a degree in journalism. 

Sad girls unite. If you need someone to cry with (over Zoom, ofc), I’ll be in my house.