Office DJ: Zoom University will persevere

20200120_Edwards_headshots-21.jpg
Preston Lennon, director of enterprise, pictured on Monday, Jan. 20, 2020.

Twenty years down the road, what do you think people will remember more, the academic-athletic scandal, or the saga of Silent Sam? We all have ample time to think it over in the coming months. 

But don't worry, we'll see each other again soon. It won't be long before all of us seniors might be accepting our invitation to UNC's first virtual commencement. Glory to Zoom University. 

I'm only kidding, probably, but these past few weeks really have forced both this University's students and administrators to adapt in the most nimble of ways. 

I doubt the new chancellor imagined when he took the job that his outreach to the student body would consist primarily of YouTube video messages to be emailed out to our HeelMail.

Though, here we are. It's not ideal, but if there's one thing I've learned from the past 3.75 years, it's that it will take far more than a global pandemic to stop Carolina in its tracks. 

This institution is well-versed in the art of protecting its interests. It's easy right now to scapegoat UNC for the upheaval in our lives. But South Building is made up of people who, like us, are probably bored out of their minds right now and are trying in good faith to push us toward the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Although, it’s always necessary and reasonable to question their intentions. 

I'm rooting for my University, and I hope you are too. While we wait, here's some music.