These students are cutting, coloring and styling their own hair during quarantine

Carlie Vasquez

Junior Carlie Vasquez after dyeing her hair. Photo courtesy of Carlie Vasquez.

With extra time to kill in quarantine during the COVID-19 pandemic, many students are experimenting with new hair colors, styles and cuts. 

We spoke to a few students about their experiences with styling their own hair — and we got photos, too. 

Dyeing for a change 

Parker Jenkins is a junior with a double major in psychology and dramatic arts. To pass the time and practice self-expression, he said he decided to dye his hair with his sister's help. 

Jenkins said moving home, switching to online classes and worrying about finances were out of his control, but that he was comforted by the control he had in changing his hair color.

“For me, dyeing my hair was a way to alleviate some of that stress,” Jenkins said. “Experimenting and being creative with your appearance is a way to de-stress or to control something in a situation where you can’t control."

Junior Parker Jenkins before dyeing his hair. Photo courtesy of Parker Jenkins. 

Junior Parker Jenkins after dyeing his hair. Photo courtesy of Parker Jenkins.

Junior psychology major Carlie Vasquez said she changed her hair color from a light blonde to lavender. 

Vasquez said she decided to dye her hair with a color depositing conditioner after seeing the trend on TikTok.

“I saw all the people impulsively cutting bangs, dyeing two front strands or the back half of their hair,” Vasquez said. “That definitely got me thinking that I should try something, at least for right now.” 

Vasquez said she has been seeing the same stylist for about three years but currently does not have access to the salon, so she decided to take a chance on temporary hair dye all by herself. 

“No one can really see it, so I think that is also something that definitely made me do it,” Vasquez said. “I kind of just winged it, though.” 

Junior Carlie Vasquez before dyeing her hair. Photo courtesy of Carlie Vasquez. 

2008 Britney Moment

Senior Jacky Wang, majoring in philosophy and political science, went a little bolder than a new hair color. He said he decided to shave his head. 

Sitting in the Student Recreation Center just before the quarantine broke out, Wang heard the song "Buzzcut Season" by Lorde playing on repeat. He went home and asked his roommates if he should buzz his hair. 

“My friend said, ‘Alright I’m just going to do this, there’s no going back,’” Wang said. “He just straight shaved it down the middle.” 

Wang said part of the idea of the buzzcut was to explore a new style without the pressure of what others would think about his hairstyle. 

“I got haircuts according to what I thought looked best on me and what would look good on me,” Wang said. “But this was like, I don’t really care what other people think, if it looks good or not.” 

Senior Jacky Wang before a buzz cut. Photo courtesy of Jacky Wang. 

Senior Jacky Wang after his buzz cut. Photo courtesy of Jacky Wang. 

Junior Henry Williams, majoring in statistics and philosophy, said he decided to not only shave his head, but also trim his beard during the quarantine. 

He said the hair changes helped get rid of nerves during the pandemic. 

Williams said he has given himself a haircut before, but changing his beard was a new process. 

“The beard was a new development this year,” Williams said. “I figured while I was shaving my head, I would shave my beard as well to see how long it would take to grow out. 

Williams said his family and friends have been supportive of the new look and approve of his decision to cut his hair during quarantine. 

“One of my friends said I look like a chef, which I think is a compliment,” Williams said. “Somebody said it was very powerful. I have not received any negative feedback.” 

Junior Henry Williams before his haircut. Photo courtesy of Henry Williams. 

Junior Henry Williams after haircut. Photo courtesy of Henry Williams. 

All is hair in love and war

Senior Alexandra Smith, majoring in media and journalism and romance languages, decided to cut her own bangs during the quarantine. She said she had already dyed her hair this past summer, so she went with something new. 

“Maybe a couple days into self-isolating, I had the thought that most girls have when something big and life changing happens,” Smith said. “‘Hmmm, I should cut my hair, or color my hair.’” 

Smith said she had thought of getting bangs for a while, but friends encouraged her to take advantage of the quarantine and to cut them herself. 

“I literally looked over and saw the scissors, had my little mirror in front of me,” Smith said. “I decided I was just gonna go for it. So yeah, I cut my own bangs.” 

Senior Alexandra Smith before cutting bangs. Photo courtesy of Alexandra Smith. 

Senior Alexandra Smith after cutting her bangs. Photo courtesy of Alexandra Smith.