Update: 7:15 p.m. Following Cooper's extension for the statewide stay-at-home order, Orange County has extended the county stay-at-home order to May 8. The order was originally set to expire April 30.
“We are monitoring the stats for Orange County and the state daily, and when the data indicates it is safe for us to ease these restrictions, we will do so,” Penny Rich, chair of the Orange County Board of Commissioners, said in a press release.
Gov. Roy Cooper announced today that North Carolina's stay-at-home order will be extended through May 8.
The announcement comes at a time when neighboring states such as Georgia are beginning to reopen businesses.
Cooper acknowledged that the state has made progress in terms of the spread of the virus, but he said he felt the state wasn't ready yet to start reopening.
"Now we know what is needed to transition out of the restrictions and what a new normal will look like," he said.
The order includes dine-in restaurants, bars and close-contact businesses like hair and nail salons, movie theaters and others.
His office laid out a plan last week that involves watching several areas to make the decision of when to reopen: testing, contact tracing and trends for areas like hospitalizations. This follows similar guidance from the White House.