On this day: UNC basketball earned third national title with win over Michigan in 1993

14254_donaldwilliamscontrib2f.jpg

Donald Williams, pictured here in a game against Colorado, helped lead the Tar Heels to a national championship in 1993. Courtesy of Wilson Library. 

Sunday was supposed to be a busy day for UNC athletics. 

North Carolina’s baseball, men’s tennis, women’s lacrosse and women’s golf teams were all scheduled to compete. Due to COVID-19, of course, these games were canceled, and Tar Heel fans are left to find different ways to fill their time.

In 1993, however, April 5 was a momentous and busy day for UNC sports fans, as the North Carolina men’s basketball team won its third national championship in school history.

The Tar Heels were in the midst of a great season. Coached by Dean Smith, they finished with the best record in the ACC. The team went an impressive 28-4 going into the NCAA tournament,  good enough for a No. 1 seed. UNC rode that momentum and laid waste to its competition on a run to the national championship game.

North Carolina faced fellow No. 1 seed Michigan in the title game, a team that beat the Tar Heels by one point earlier in the season. The Wolverines were led by their iconic Fab Five, including star players Chris Webber, Jalen Rose and Juwan Howard. All three would be selected in the first round of the NBA Draft.

North Carolina had its own collection of talent, though. The team’s two leading scorers were junior Eric Montross and senior George Lynch, both of whom would also become first round selections. The backcourt was led by Derrick Phelps and sharpshooter Donald Williams, who's tied for fifth in program history in made 3-pointers. Forward Brian Reese rounded out UNC's starting lineup for the game.

The score was close for most of the game. North Carolina trailed by as many as 10 in the first half but took a six-point lead before halftime. Williams led UNC throughout the game, as he made five 3-pointers and scored 25 points. Montross added 16 points and Lynch recorded a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

On the Wolverines' side, Webber scored 23 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and blocked three shots. Jimmy King added 15 points and grabbed six rebounds as well.

The two No. 1 seeds went back and forth late in the second half. Ahead by three points, North Carolina turned the ball over with 45 seconds left and gave Michigan a chance. Webber cut the lead to one and Michigan then fouled Pat Sullivan, sending him to the free throw line. Sullivan made the front end of the one-and-one but missed the second free throw.

Following the miss was one of the most iconic moments in college basketball history.

Webber grabbed an offensive rebound and appeared to get away with a travel, but ran up the court anyway. The Tar Heel defense forced him into a double team near the Michigan sideline. 

The Wolverines were out of timeouts, but Webber was unaware of that fact and called one anyway. The mishap gave North Carolina two free throws and possession of the ball.

North Carolina closed out the game and won 77-71, giving the program its third national championship and second under Smith. A day to remember for Tar Heel fans, to say the least.

@Jerem11ah