First day of classes will be Aug. 10, final exams to end Nov. 24, Guskiewicz announces

20200123_Duong_MLKLectureDTH-3.jpg
Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz makes opening remarks ahead of the awards at the 39th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Keynote Lecture and Award Ceremony on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2020. "We must continue to confront our history so we can learn from that history, fuel from the learnings and move forward together," he said.

Update, 6:00 p.m.: In an email sent Thursday to the UNC community, Guskiewicz said that most residential students will continue to live in double-occupancy dorm rooms and will begin moving in on Aug. 3. 

In the event that a residential student tests positive for COVID-19, they will be moved to temporary housing in one residence hall, while students who were exposed but have not tested positive for the virus will be moved to temporary housing in a second residence hall.

He added that Lenoir and Chase dining halls will be open only to students with a meal plan and that new meal plan options will be announced soon. 

Guskiewicz said during a media availability after the Board of Trustees meeting that he is working with the UNC System Office to determine if tuition costs may be adjusted for students whose classes are moved to a remote or hybrid model. 

He also said that large student gatherings, such as tailgates or fraternity parties, would most likely be restricted. 

UNC’s first day of class will be held on Aug. 10, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz announced during Thursday’s UNC Board of Trustees meeting.

The new start date is eight days before originally planned, Guskiewicz said. Students will complete finals by Nov. 24 and then not return to campus until the spring semester. 

Additionally, faculty will be asked to prepare for in-person, remote and hybrid instruction. 

“On the guidance of our infectious disease and public health experts we will start early and finish early in an effort to stay ahead of a potential second wave of the virus,” he said. 

Guskiewicz said the University has developed the Carolina Roadmap to reopen campus in the fall. The Roadmap includes a ramp-up of on-campus research operations beginning June 1, as well as the establishment of community standards to prevent virus transmission, including wearing face masks and practicing physical distancing. Guskiewicz said the Roadmap will be shared with students soon. 

He said class sizes will also be adjusted to practice social distancing, exits and entrances to buildings will be one-way and the time between classes will be adjusted, which could lead to weeknight classes.

“During this time we must all prepare for and accept some inconveniences, and adopt the community standards that we’re building and the behavior that will help ensure a safe Carolina campus,” he said. 

Guskiewicz also announced the creation of a new program called Carolina Away, which will allow up to 1,000 new undergraduates to have an entirely online education for fall semester. He said this program will include about 200 international students who cannot secure visas to come to Chapel Hill, as well as students who prefer not to live in residence halls due to the virus. 

“It’s safe to say this will not be a typical fall semester,” Guskiewicz said. “Campus will likely look and feel different.” 

The Carolina Roadmap for Fall 2020 website will be launched next week and will give students more detailed information about the fall semester. 

@kyle_ingram11