Friday July 30th

Chapel Hill Police cite four UNC students for violating COVID-19 safety regulations

DTH Photo Illustration of students partying in an off-campus house. Governor Roy Cooper made an executive order prohibiting indoor gatherings of over 10 people, an order that several groups of students have already been cited for.
Buy Photos DTH Photo Illustration of students partying in an off-campus house. Governor Roy Cooper made an executive order prohibiting indoor gatherings of over 10 people, an order that several groups of students have already been cited for.

Four citations were issued this week to UNC students who were found to be in violation of an executive order by Gov. Roy Cooper. The executive order prohibits indoor gatherings of over 10 people. 

All citations were given Aug. 24 by the Chapel Hill Police Department, according to Chapel Hill police reports.

On Aug. 13, Chapel Hill Mayor Pam Hemminger told The Daily Tar Heel in an interview that the Town would start to consider citing people for “egregious behavior.” 

According to an email from Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue, two of the citations were associated with the UNC fraternity Phi Delta Theta. The other two were residents of off-campus houses. 

The citations are Class 2 misdemeanors, which carry a punishment of fines or a jail sentence. The maximum punishment for repeat offenders is $1,000 fine and a 60 day jail sentence. 

Citations are reserved for repeat violators and glaring violations of crowd limitations, according to the email from Blue

Citations were only given to residents of the locations where violations occurred, and those who did not reside at the location of the gathering were told to leave immediately, Blue said in the email. 

The cited individuals will receive a court date to begin the legal process, according to a statement from the Town of Chapel Hill. 

UNC is also notified of every warning and citation issued by CHPD to a student, the statement said. 

The University will notify students and parents of violations and determine what action will be taken on a "case-by-case basis", Chapel Hill Mayor Pam Hemminger said in email to town officials. 

@kecarpenter1 | @sonjarao

city@dailytarheel.com | @DTHCityState

Mail Home Edition 2021