Op-ed: Changing the system from the inside out

The most common mistake we can make as humans is believing that everything is as it seems — especially regarding racial equity. But it is not. 

The lines of racial injustice and equality become more and more complex each day. And with it, the fight against racial inequity becomes more intertwined into the American system without any signs of slowing down. These concepts of moral injustice, racial inequity and racial trauma, are nothing new to this country; rather, these inhumane notions are ingrained so deeply into America’s underpinnings that one may consider them a pillar of our foundation.

The truth is, the current generation of whites are not responsible for the institution of slavery or the overzealous level of comfort enjoyed by white supremacy today; however, it is not lost on me that the current generation of whites are the sole beneficiaries of the barbaric practices of chattel slavery and inequality that their ancestors imparted upon our people. And, as you can expect, while the current generation of Blacks are not physically enslaved, we are indeed bound by the system of institutionalized racism that has taken over this country.

Racial justice is not a Black or white issue — nor is it an issue that lies solely with those directly affected by the cruel aftermath of the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and countless others. One may argue that America has never grasped the true concept of justice. We riot, we protest, but we do not vote — why? The indoctrination of inciting violence is the new way of getting those in power to recognize our voice. 

My question is: what do you want them to do once you have their attention? And how do you plan to change the cruel injustices they force upon people of color? Surely, it is not only by ensuring that those responsible for the crimes against George, Breonna, and Ahmaud are incarcerated. That would not be justice; that is a Band-Aid for a wound far too deep. Justice would be changing the system so that no American family has to ever again share the burden of losing one of their family members to racism and discrimination.

We must attack the concept of racism at its core. And while doing so, we must also be willing to rewrite the American system to reflect our own understanding. We must teach the past in a way that proselytizes the culture of supremacy and privilege to adapt to racial justice and equity. We cannot continue to believe that walking in protest, making a sign and posting on social media will be enough. Change must happen from the inside out.

We have been fighting the war on social corruption and racial injustice for over 400 years, with the same weapons. We must arm ourselves with a different arsenal of tools, weaponizing our profound gifts of creativity and community to end this war on racial injustice. And, in the process, we must also invest in educating the next generation to become leaders in search of a larger and more compassionate understanding. The only way to eradicate such unjust practices will be to ensure they no longer have a platform to be amplified.

The racism we experience today is the result of many years of brainwashing, and generations of racist and prejudiced teachings. We must continue to shift the paradigm of racialized equity and social inclusion.

I challenge each American to become cognizant of recognizing racism in its many forms, and become vigilant in calling it out. Do not remain silent as acts of racism continue to be perpetrated — that makes you as guilty as the perpetrator. Challenge those closest to you to evolve in their thinking. Changing the system starts with each of us realizing that this war against racism is not a one-size-fits-all experience, and that we must all mobilize our best assets in this fight. 

Changing the system is not something that can be done overnight; instead, it is something afforded only to those willing to ask the right questions. When the future generations begin their courses in U.S. history, will they read from a textbook that shows the progression of the Civil Rights era through the end of racism? Or will they inherit the same callous and unjust struggles we have? We have an obligation to leave the world much better than we found it, but the only way we can do that is to ensure we eradicate the very system that systematically enslaves our people today.

Lamar Richards '23

Chairperson, Commission on Campus Equality and Student Equity