Local drive-in theaters are making a comeback during social distancing

968E93AC-99A0-4F44-A485-467A80979584.jpeg
A drive-in film showing at Food Truck Flix. Photo courtesy of Madison Mundy.

As North Carolina continues its stay in Phase 2.5 as outlined by Gov. Roy Cooper's COVID-19 reopening plan, many students are looking toward alternative ways to hit the theater and see their favorite films. 

Drive-in theaters are the perfect way to get out the house and have a semi-normal movie-viewing experience. Although most drive-ins require a bit of a drive from campus, students have seen their payoff to be worth it in a time with so little to do. 

First-year Tucker Adkins spent some time with friends at Raleigh Road Outdoor Theatre at the end of the summer. 

“I just really needed to get out of the house and do something semi-normal, compared to everything else," Adkins said. "Even the drive to the theater was such a nice experience."

Drive-in theaters are known to show a variety of movies, often family-friendly. Many have warped expectations due to their portrayal in pop culture, where they are shown in unflattering lighting with poor audio, but first-year Riley Watkins was happily surprised by the viewing quality. 

After attending a viewing at the Raleigh Road Outdoor Theatre in late August, she noted that the movie’s audio was connected through a radio station that could be played through the viewer’s vehicle, as well as a great view of the screen. 

“It was a little bit of a hike from Chapel Hill, but honestly, after not being able to see movies for so long, it was well worth it. It even added an extra level to the average movie theater experience with a picnic aspect,” Watkins said. 

Just under an hour drive from UNC, the Raleigh Road Outdoor Theatre serves as a permanent drive-in location near the Triangle. Tickets can be purchased online, at a per-viewer rate. 

Food Truck Flix, a non-profit based in the Triangle, is new to the drive-in business, but is already flourishing as their first few weeks of shows sold out completely. The pop-up drive-ins began at the end of June with a mission to support local businesses via food trucks, while donating proceeds to a different charity of choice each month. With high capacity events being the main source of customers for local food trucks, the drive-ins offer a chance for small businesses to provide services. 

Madison Mundy, the event director of Food Truck Flix, noted how beneficial the events are for the local food truck owners and employees.

Food Truck Flix works with five rotating food trucks that deliver food to vehicles at the drive-in.

“For a lot of these people, the food truck is their livelihood and without big gatherings and festivals it has made for a hard couple of months. It's been nice to have these events to keep them going,” Mundy said. 

“It’s nice to be able to give back in a time when things are tough for a lot of people." 

Curious to explore a local drive-in theater? Look no further!

Raleigh Road Outdoor Theatre

3336 Raleigh Rd., Henderson, N.C., 27537

Less than an hour away from UNC’s campus, Raleigh Road tickets can be purchased online for movie viewings Wednesday through Sunday, every week.

Food Truck Flix

Their movie screenings switch between two locations, Focus Church Raleigh and Frontier RTP. 

Focus Church: 7000 Destiny Dr., Raleigh, N.C., 27604.

Frontier RTP: 700 Park Offices Dr., Research Triangle, N.C., 27709.

Food Truck Flix rotates between these five area vendors: Chick-N-Que, Gussys Greek Truck, Bulkogi Korean BBQ, Chirba Dumpling and Pie Pushers.

Tickets can be purchased in advance through the non-profit’s website.

The Lumina Theater

620 Market St., Chapel Hill, N.C. 27516

In Chapel Hill, The Lumina Theater provides a safe outdoor experience for movie viewings with a “bring your own chair” system. 

Capital Drive In

2509 Index Dr., Wake Forest, N.C. 27587

Less than 40 minutes away from campus, the Capital Drive In offers in-car dining and movie viewings. 

@elizmacon