Jubilee Preview: Rico Nasty and DaniLeigh to headline virtual concert

untitled-7-2.jpg
DTH Photo Illustration. Rico Nasty and Danileigh are set to perform over Zoom Saturday, which means students have to jam out from home.

Although the spring 2020 Jubilee concert was postponed due to COVID-19, the show must go on —virtually. The Carolina Union Activities Board will host rapper Rico Nasty and singer DaniLeigh in the first ever virtual Jubilee concert this Saturday. 

Jubilee is an annual spring concert hosted by CUAB that brings recording artists to the University. Current students and 2020 graduates will have the opportunity to attend this year's Jubilee from the comfort of their own homes and dorms at no cost to them.  

The decision to reschedule this concert in a virtual format was made for multiple reasons. Sarah Bradley, CUAB president, said CUAB wanted to maintain positive relationships with the agencies and artists that they worked with, as well as offer this experience to current students and 2020 graduates.

“It was going to be (the spring 2020 grads') last Jubilee and we really wanted to be able to get the concert rescheduled so that they would have a chance to go,” Bradley said.

Jubilee will provide students with a live concert experience, allowing both artists to each have a 30-minute set. Bradley said the structure of this virtual concert was created to avoid Zoom fatigue.

“We’ve heard from other schools that very long concerts aren’t preferable, so the concert won’t be too long,” Bradley said. “We’re really excited to be able to provide those sets that are really engaging and have both the artists and students be able to engage in the virtual format.”

This year's Jubilee will also be the first time two women are headlining the event. Kennedy Byrd, a junior studying media and journalism, said that this is one reason why she will be attending the concert.

“It's super cool that this is the first time that two females are headlining it,” Byrd said. “That's also an incentive.”

Byrd said she is also interested to see how this virtual concert will affect the real concert-going experience.

“It is going to be weird and I'm kind of interested to see if it’s going to be like I'm just watching a YouTube video, or is it going to feel like a concert,” Byrd said. 

David Restrepo, a senior studying psychology, said he is very excited about attending Jubilee, but he is curious about the essence of the virtual performance aspect. 

“I know that with certain kinds of music or certain artists, they feed off like the reactions and emotions of the audience. So sometimes, like being online, it's a little bit harder to gauge that,” Restrepo said.

Even with the skepticism of the virtual concert, students are still grateful for the opportunity to have it. According to Restrepo, the effort by CUAB to reschedule Jubilee is appreciated by students who are enduring the effects of COVID-19 and its restrictions.

“I think it's good on their part because that's something I was definitely looking forward to last year but got cancelled,” Restrepo said. “I’m really glad they were able to get some artists and at least be able to do it virtually.”

Jubilee starts at 7 p.m. this Saturday and students are still able to RSVP for this event. To RSVP, visit https://heellife.unc.edu/event/6212539

@charity_cohen