UNC football adds matchup with Western Carolina to 2020 schedule

j.k.-britt-football-wcu

UNC senior safety J.K. Britt (29) grabs WCU redshirt junior wide receiver Nate Mullen (2) to intercept a run on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018, in Kenan Memorial Stadium. The Tar Heels won 49-26 against Western Carolina.

The North Carolina football team has added a game against Western Carolina to its 2020 schedule, head coach Mack Brown announced Monday. The Tar Heels will face the Catamounts in Kenan Stadium on Friday, Dec. 11.

After North Carolina's Sept. 19 game against UNC-Charlotte was canceled due to several 49ers offensive linemen either testing positive for COVID-19 or quarantining because of contact tracing, the Tar Heels were left with an open non-conference game on their schedule.

Despite efforts to schedule a makeup game against a new team, UNC was unable to find an opponent for its Sept. 26 bye week, so this new game will be added to the end of the season's schedule.

In the two games between UNC and WCU since 2017, the Tar Heels handily defeated the Catamounts twice, 65-10 in 2017 and 49-26 in 2018.

North Carolina will take the field next on Saturday, Oct. 3, for an away game against Boston College.

@McMastersJ