LEVEL Retreat is an oasis for Orange County artists

LEVEL_1.jpg

The LEVEL Retreat, located in southern Chapel Hill, is working to provide local artists with a peaceful and safe space to work. Photo courtesy of Marie Rossettie.

The LEVEL Retreat, located in southern Chapel Hill, is working to provide local artists with a peaceful and safe space to work. 

Thanks to a grant from the Orange County Arts Commission, LEVEL is currently offering three week-long retreats. Artists can apply on their website for either the fall, winter or spring session.

Founded in 2016 by Marie Rossettie and BJ Warshaw, the retreats have long been popular with artists across the world as a way to find leaps in creativity.

“Part of our decision making will come down to people who lack formal studio space and need to get out of a stressful situation,” Warshaw said. “We also are looking out for opportunities to help underprivileged groups: women, the LGBTQ+ community, and Black and indigenous people of color.”

Amenities include walking trails, a pond, plenty of outdoor space and a fully-furnished home called the “Scout House” — a former Boy Scout cabin. 

In the past, artists of all disciplines have stayed at the Scout House, including sculptors, painters and filmmakers. In addition to having access to the Scout House and property for one week, artists will receive a $100 stipend to offset additional costs of art supplies or travel.

Rossettie and Warshaw both live on the property of LEVEL in a separate house.

“We’re nearby if needed, but there’s also a tremendous amount of privacy and space for an individual who wants to just disconnect from everything and focus,” Rossettie said. 

Rossettie and Warshaw said they are taking COVID-19 precautions seriously.

“We’re very attentive to making sure the space is cleaned and sanitized before and after their stay,” Warshaw said. 

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the retreat is only being offered to one single artist at a time. There are also no parties or unauthorized guests allowed on the property. 

“Otherwise, artists are free to just come on the property, work on a project, enjoy some time out in the sun, watch the leaves change colors, and hopefully be inspired and get some work done,” Warshaw said. 

Jean Gray Mohs, an abstract artist from Raleigh, participated in a “Daycation” at the LEVEL Retreat, spending one full day alone on the property to work. 

“The gift that the LEVEL Retreat was able to give me was the gift of time and space,” Mohs said. “It was exactly what I needed.”

As an immunocompromised person and a mother of 6-year-old twins, safety and sanitization was a priority for Mohs.

“It was very COVID-friendly and COVID-aware,” Mohs said. “To have been able to stay a whole extra week would have been incredible. I’m really thankful to Marie and BJ for providing that opportunity.”

The LEVEL Retreat hopes to provide artists with a place to create, process and unwind. 

“In all times of upheaval and societal strife, art is where we turn to — to make sense of the world, to communicate our experience and share our experience with others, and hopefully inspire people,” Warshaw said. 

@ejgerden