Here’s where the candidates for N.C. lieutenant governor stand on several key issues

lt gov.jpg

Businessman Mark Robinson (left), Republican, and state representative Yvonne Lewis Holley, Democrat, are the candidates running for N.C. lieutenant governor. Photos courtesy of Robinson and Holley.

The November election is coming up, so The Daily Tar Heel is breaking down every state and local office on the ballot, from governor to county commissioner. Here, we broke down who the candidates are for lieutenant governor. 

Democrat Yvonne Lewis Holley from Raleigh and Republican Mark Robinson from Greensboro are facing off for the position of North Carolina's lieutenant governor. 

The lieutenant governor serves as president of the state Senate, where they can cast tie-breaking votes. They also serve on various boards and commissions, like the State Board of Education, and fill in for the governor in the event of their absence. The role is currently held by Dan Forest, who is currently running for governor. 

Holley has had a 25-year career in state government and has been representing the 38th district in the North Carolina State House of Representatives for eight years, where she has worked to relieve food deserts. She was among the first wave of students that integrated schools in North Carolina and is a graduate of Howard University. 

“I have the experiences of the past, the understanding and knowledge of the present and a vision for the future. And that vision is inclusive, not exclusive,” Holley said. 

Robinson served as a medical specialist in the Army Reserve for three years and has since worked in manufacturing and as a small business owner. A video of him addressing the Greensboro City Council about gun control went viral in 2018, leading him to serve on the National Rifle Association National Outreach Board and be elected to the NRA Board of Directors this year. 

Robinson did not respond to a request for an interview, so information was pulled from his website. 

Here’s what issues matter most to both candidates. 

Mark Robinson 

Robinson’s campaign is centered around conservative values. According to his website, if elected as lieutenant governor, he would fight for the life of the unborn, end indoctrination in schools, defend the Second Amendment, improve veteran care in the state and stand up for law enforcement.

Robinson also said he would stand up against sanctuary cities, stating he thinks they are dangerous to low-income communities. He said illegally crossing the border should be treated as a crime. 

When it comes to the economy, Robinson said he will fight to make sure North Carolinians have access to jobs. He said as someone who has owned a small business, he knows fewer taxes and regulations can help a business hire more employees and invest in communities. 

Robinson is a supporter of enacting voter identification laws, stating it is common-sense legislation. 

Advocating for parents to have the decision in how and where their children are educated is also part of Robinson’s platform. He believes scholarships that allow low-income students the opportunity to go to a school outside of the public school system should be strengthened. 

“Together we will elect a patriot, not a politician,” Robinson said on his campaign website. 

Yvonne Lewis Holley 

One of the main platforms of Holley’s campaign is her Affordable Living Initiative, which would address affordable housing, workforce development and access to transportation and public education. 

“This initiative does food security, it does housing affordability,” Holley said. “But some of the main pillars are workforce development, living wages and job trainings to prepare people for the workforce.” 

Holley is also an advocate for criminal justice reform. She said the system treats Black and brown residents inequitably, the bail system needs to be reformed and police need to be held accountable if they demonstrate abuse of power or excessive force. 

Holley also said she supports the Black Lives Matter movement, but doesn't agree with everything that has happened at recent protests. 

“Black Lives Matter. Absolutely,” Holley said. “But do I condone some of the violence that has ensued at some of the demonstrations? No.”

Holley also supports addressing climate change and the other environmental issues of the state through legislation. 

When it comes to health care, Holley is a strong supporter of Medicaid expansion and said women’s reproductive rights should be included in health care. 

Holley said she also believes in the Second Amendment, but supports legislation that bans assault weapons and magazines. She also believes background checks and permits are needed for firearms. 

"I didn't run to be something," Holley said. "I ran to do something." 

@KaylaGuilliams