OC Voice: Why you should vote in the U.S. Senate race

A126CD9E-983D-474D-843E-29FFA9F7E1BB_1_105_c.jpeg

Taylor Heeden, a senior writer at the Daily Tar Heel and a senior journalism and communication studies double major.

The OC Voice is a portion of the OC Report newsletter where local residents may have a platform to talk about local issues they care about. Taylor Heeden is a senior writer for The Daily Tar Heel and a senior at UNC majoring in journalism and communication studies. 

This election is different for many reasons. In a nation that seems to be deeply divided, it has become more important for people to have their voices heard by placing a vote this election. 

There are many important positions up for election this year, other than the presidency. In North Carolina, there is a U.S. Senate seat up for grabs this November. This senate election is important for many reasons, but a lot of people have been hesitant to vote for a North Carolina senator this year. 

The two main candidates running to represent North Carolina in the U.S. Senate are Republican incumbent Thom Tillis and Democrat challenger Cal Cunningham. 

I have talked to a couple of my friends about the candidates and how they feel about this election in general. Some of them have expressed feelings of uncertainty when it comes to whether they want to fill out the U.S. Senate section of the ballot. 

Between Tillis contracting COVID-19 a month before the election and Cunningham engaging in an extramarital affair, a lot of people may be tempted to not fill out that section of the ballot. 

I’m here to tell you it is still crucial to vote for a North Carolina senator this election. It is important to make sure North Carolinians have their voices heard at the national level, and the U.S. Senate is one of those platforms. 

Early voting in North Carolina started on Oct. 15, and mail-in absentee voting has been happening since September. This election has been going on for over a month, and it is an opportunity for everyone to have the chance to share their concerns, as well as have a voice in who their representatives and leaders are. 

By choosing to not vote for a North Carolina senate representative, North Carolinians are electing to not have their voices represented in the most accurate way possible. According to polling data from RealClearPolitics, the race to the U.S. Senate could still go either way at this point. 

North Carolina is a swing state that could decide what the U.S. Senate looks like after the election, so it is more important than ever for North Carolinians to vote this election. 

By going out and voting this year, you are actively participating in American democracy. You are voicing where you want your state and your country to go for the next four years. In order for your voice to be heard, it is extremely important you vote for all the positions up for election this year. 

Early voting goes until Oct. 31 this year, and you can find where your voting place is for your voter registration by going to your county’s Board of Elections website. 

If you live in Orange County and want to make your voice heard on something you care about locally, email city@dailytarheel.com. 

@HeedenTaylor