Editorial: How to celebrate Halloween, safely

20191031_Pirozzi_Halloween-3.jpg
Students and local residents convened on Franklin Street for the Halloween on Franklin event on Thursday, Oct. 31, 2019.

Halloween is rapidly approaching, and it's time to accept that the holiday will be much different than in years past. Franklin Street festivities and Halloweekend parties are just the latest traditions to fall to the wayside amid the COVID-19 pandemic — but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for fun!

Lest we forget, however, we are in the middle of a pandemic, and safety is of the utmost importance. Whatever you do, don't be the person who uses Halloween as an excuse to party. We promise, hitting up Frat Court on Halloween is simply not worth it this year. (Was it ever worth it, though? We digress.)

"But wait," you might be asking. "What will I do instead? How will I manage to have a fun Halloween if I'm not lost in a throng of sweaty bodies, drinking something heinous out of a plastic cup?"

Well, dear reader, you're in luck — the Editorial Board has compiled a list of alternatives to help you celebrate Halloween safely this year.

1. Don’t let COVID-19 stop you from posting your annual Halloween thirst trap on Instagram. You can still dress up with your roommates and have a themed photo shoot at home. Find a spot with good lighting, make a cute backdrop (Pinterest will be your friend here) and snap away.
  2. Bake some spooky treats with your roommates. There’s no better way to mourn Halloween traditions of years past than by drowning your sorrows in sugar.
  3. Alternatively, try brewing up some Halloween-themed cocktails. Cheers!
  4. Have a pumpkin carving contest with your friends (virtually, of course). Carve your pumpkins individually, then host a Zoom party to show off your creations. 
  5. Vote! Oct. 31 is the last day of early voting in North Carolina. Don't forget to head to the polls — nothing is spookier than the potential dissolution of democracy. If you want, you can even wear a costume!
  6. Curl up on the couch with some hot apple cider and watch your favorite Halloween movie. If you want, you can even watch with friends via Teleparty or a similar browser extension. Halloweentown, anyone?
  7. Hit up CVS on Nov. 1 and treat yourself to some discounted Halloween candy (we recommend candy corn). Don’t forget to wear your mask!
  8. Make Halloween goodie bags, and deliver them to people's driveways. Lots of children will likely be unable to partake in a holiday that many consider a staple in childhood experiences, and a simple act of kindness could brighten their day.
  9. Play Among Us (or another virtual party game!) with some pals and find out who your real friends are.
  10. Zoom University is increasing our screen time exponentially. Take a little break from your TV or computer, and open up a Halloween-themed book! We could all benefit from doing a bit more reading.
  11. If you live off-campus, take some time to decorate your house! While we might not have trick-or-treaters this year, creating a festive environment in your neighborhood will get everyone in the spirit.
  12. In search of an adrenaline rush? Hop in the car, and head to a drive-through haunted house
  13. Do nothing! Halloween isn’t for everyone, so let COVID-19 be an excuse to stay home and relax, free of the usual peer pressure or FOMO. 

However you choose to spend your Halloween this year, just remember: be safe, and be smart.

@dthopinion

opinion@dailytarheel.com