Preview: Three keys for No. 15 UNC football to avoid an upset against Virginia

football loss vt

First-year wide receiver Dazz Newsome (19) catches UNC’s first touchdown against UVA in 2018 at Scott Stadium. UNC lost to Virginia 21-31. 

Last year, the North Carolina football team’s hopes of an ACC Championship run disappeared after the Tar Heels lost in a 38-31 shootout to Virginia in front of a home crowd in Kenan Memorial Stadium. 

The Cavaliers would go on to represent the Coastal Division in last year’s ACC title game, with UNC falling 2 games back from the Division lead. This year — with Clemson and Notre Dame sitting undefeated atop the ACC — the South’s Oldest Rivalry will again serve as a must-win for North Carolina. Here are three keys for the No. 15 Tar Heels (4-1, 4-1 ACC) to come away with a victory against the Cavaliers (1-4, 1-4). 

Contain the quarterback

Through the first two games of the season, North Carolina’s defense allowed opposing offenses the fewest rushing yards per game in the nation. After struggling to contain the ground game since then — most notably allowing Florida State quarterback Jordan Travis 107 yards on the ground — the Tar Heels have fallen to the 36th nationally. 

Even with an improved defense since Jay Bateman began his tenure as co-defensive coordinator, UNC has struggled to contain dual-threat quarterbacks. Last year against the Cavaliers, the Tar Heels allowed quarterback Bryce Perkins to rush for 112 yards and two touchdowns. Virginia was able to cut short a second half comeback attempt from UNC utilizing Perkins’ legs. 

With Perkins leaving for the NFL last year, the Cavaliers have replaced him with a new weapon behind center: sophomore Brennan Armstrong. Through four games, Armstrong has amassed 272 yards on the ground for an average of over 55 yards per game. For a defense that has struggled to contain dual-threats in the past, North Carolina’s young defensive front will have to step up to keep it from being burned by yet another athletic quarterback. 

Balancing the offensive attack

On the other side of the ball, the Tar Heels have been led by running backs Javonte Williams and Michael Carter. Against N.C. State, the pair combined for 266 yards and four touchdowns, leading UNC to a 48-21 blowout victory. 

After entering the season expecting quarterback Sam Howell to lead an Air Raid attack for the offense, Williams and Carter have stolen the show. Still, the Tar Heels are at their best when Howell and veteran wide receivers Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome complement the ground game. 

Less penalties and miscues

Despite their top 25 ranking and some impressive victories so far this season, the Tar Heels have at times looked sloppy and uncoordinated on both sides of the ball. With two blocked punts and a pick six early in the Florida State game, UNC dug itself into a hole too deep to dig out of against an inferior opponent, giving the Tar Heels their first and only loss so far this season. 

For the Tar Heels to avoid another upset, they will have to come out sharp and avoid miscues against a pesky Virginia team. UNC has allowed 45 penalties for 394 yards this season, ranking them 89th in the country in the fewest penalty yards allowed category. 

Special teams are another phase of the game UNC has struggled in, with former FCS All-American kicker Grayson Atkins converting at just a 50 percent clip so far this season, including a shanked 22-yarder against the Wolfpack. Mistakes on special teams allowed the Seminoles to take and keep a lead over the Tar Heels. UNC was unable to tie the game late after Atkins missed a 44-yard attempt early in the fourth quarter of UNC’s three-point loss. 

With North Carolina entering the weekend as seven-point favorites over the Cavaliers, Saturday is yet another prove-you-belong game for the Tar Heels, who are tied with Miami for third in the ACC standings, a game back from Clemson and Notre Dame.

@zachycrain