North Carolina volleyball blanks N.C. State, 3-0, in first of two matches

Skylar Wine volleyball vs NC State
UNC's outside hitter Skylar Wine (6) spikes the ball during the game at N.C. State in 2018. The Tar Heels beat Wolfpack 3-0 on Friday, Oct. 17, 2020.

Despite some close scoring, the North Carolina volleyball team defeated N.C. State 3-0 in Raleigh on Friday night to bring its record to 3-2 this season.

N.C. State took the lead to start the first set and held onto it during close back-and-forth play. Consecutive kills by first-year Maylen Mitrovich and junior Destiny Cox then allowed UNC to overtake N.C. State and make the score 9-8. UNC maintained the lead and eventually stretched it out to 21-14 after several bouts of unanswered points. Late in the set, N.C. State attempted to close the gap, but fell short as an N.C. State service error cemented a 25-20 UNC set victory.

North Carolina took the first point of the second set, and two kills by sophomore Carly Peck contributed to a 6-3 UNC lead. N.C. State responded with 4 consecutive points to overtake the Tar Heels, but could not hold on as UNC brought the score to 10-7. A service ace by first-year Aziah Buckner brought the UNC lead to 15-11, and UNC held a narrow lead until N.C. State tied the set at 17-17. UNC went up 21-17 after an ace by redshirt first-year Olivia Diaz and went on to win the set 25-20.

The third set started off with an N.C. State point, but the lead was tilted in UNC’s favor consistently as the set continued. There was never more than a three-point difference separating the teams until a kill by Peck brought the score to 12-8. The close UNC lead continued until N.C. State tied the game at 14-14. 

A kill from Buckner and two consecutive kills by first-year Kaya Merkler helped bring the Tar Heels' lead to 20-16 before UNC finished the set with a 25-18 victory. 

“To win a match 3-0 for this team, a young team, I think that’s a really good statement,” UNC head coach Joe Sagula said.

Phegley led the team with eight kills, including one to end the third set and seal a win for the Tar Heels. Sophomore Karenna Wurl had 17 digs, while Mitrovich contributed 20 assists to the win.

“There are a number of people who contributed tonight and played some big roles to help us win,” Sagula said.

After the first two sets that both resulted in 25-20 victories, the Tar Heels maintained a close lead for a majority of the third set. They then grew their lead to 20-16, which offered little chance for an N.C. State comeback if the game continued like it did in the previous sets. The Tar Heels erased any remaining doubts as they continued to maintain their lead and end the contest on a 10-3 run.

This victory against N.C. State shifted UNC's momentum for the short remainder of the season as it gave the Tar Heels a winning record. This win also provided a morale boost for the team after their 3-1 loss to Duke on Sunday, Oct. 11.

“We need to be prepared to come back and play an even better match on Sunday. This was the start,” Sagula said.

UNC takes on N.C. State again in the last match of the season on Sunday, Oct. 18, at 1 p.m. in Raleigh.

@madikirk31