Campus & Community Advisory Committee talks University wellness days

Campus & Community Advisory Committee (1027).png

Screenshot from the Campus & Community Advisory Committee meeting held over Zoom on Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020.

The Campus & Community Advisory Committee met Tuesday to discuss the distribution of wellness days for the upcoming spring semester. 

Rather than a regular spring break, the University has decided to implement five "wellness days" throughout the semester to allow students time off of school. 

The committee weighed whether these days should be “sprinkled” in one-day breaks throughout the semester or organized in “clumps” to create extended weekends. The group also discussed community standards and enforcement for the spring semester.

What’s new?

• Four scenarios were outlined by the University Registrar, proposing different combinations of wellness day distribution for the committee to consider. 
  • The committee favored clumping wellness days together rather than sprinkling them throughout the semester to allow students and staff the proper time to relax from school and work. Committee members agreed that extended weekends should be implemented evenly throughout the semester. 
  • Overall, the committee supported one scenario presented by the Registrar, which involves using the five wellness days for one four-day weekend, one three-day weekend and then two days off in a mid-week break.
  • Committee members formed two additional plans that they wish to be considered if it complies with the Registrar's calendar, including one plan with two four-day weekends and one three-day weekend.

How did the committee start?

• Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz announced in September that he formed the committee to aid in decision-making for the plans of the spring 2021 semester.
  • The committee’s main purpose is to evaluate the Roadmap to Fall 2020 and the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic and give input and feedback.

Who is on the committee?

• The Campus & Community Advisory Committee is comprised of three co-chairpersons and 26 members, representing student, faculty and community interests.

Who else was at Tuesday's meeting?

• Margaret Campbell, a representative from the Orange County Health Department, spoke about the issue of hesitation and unresponsiveness from UNC students to calls about contact tracing.
  • Jonathan Sauls, associate vice chancellor for student affairs, discussed how enforcement has been carried out during the fall 2020 semester to guide the committee's discussion of possible changes to community standards this spring.

What happened last meeting

• The committee decided with a majority of 17 members to recommend that 3,100 single rooms would be allowed to be filled on campus, with a flexible number of open beds for students with hardships. 

What’s next?

• Co-Chairperson Mimi Chapman will consolidate and publish the committee’s recommendations regarding spring wellness days in the coming days.
  • The committee will continue its discussion of community standards and come to a consensus about enforcement and campus culture surrounding regulations in its upcoming meetings.