'Things are moving quickly' in planning for spring semester, chair of the faculty says

pasted image 0.png
Screenshot from the virtually-held faculty executive committee on Monday, Oct. 5, 2020.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly conveyed the purpose of the SlowCOVIDNC app and contextualized UNC as having involvement with data collected by the app. The University does not have access to any identifying information that the SlowCOVIDNC app collects. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error. 

Plans for the spring semester are continuing to develop. On Monday, the UNC Faculty Executive Committee met over Zoom, and Chairperson of the Faculty Mimi Chapman answered questions surrounding upcoming plans to bring students back on campus safely. 

Surveillance testing policies

Chapman discussed work groups arranged by UNC, which handle the establishment of new testing policies for students, as well as contact tracing.

“One of these work groups is specifically about testing and tracing, so they're looking into all these different protocols across the country,” Chapman said.

Panelists discussed questions about testing, such as on what basis students would be tested, what kinds of tests the University is looking into and surveillance testing while on campus.

Chapman then discussed the University’s plans to look into new testing methods coming out, as well as interests in mandatory, regular surveillance testing. 

She pointed to the University of Illinois as an example of an institution that has had success in this way.

J. Michael Barker, vice chancellor for information technology and chief information officer, also mentioned the SlowCOVIDNC app, through which students would be asked to monitor their symptoms. 

Mandatory COVID-19 testing

The committee then discussed the concept of mandatory surveillance testing at UNC, as questions were raised regarding student privacy with this method.

Eric Muller, a law professor, said this testing could play an integral part in ensuring the University’s success. 

“We should be doing as much testing as the law allows us to and as much as we can afford,” Muller said.

Despite the opinions about mandatory surveillance testing presented in the panel, a final statement on UNC’s new testing policies has yet to be made. Chapman said further discussion about this topic would take place in a meeting on Tuesday.

Spring semester roadmap

When asked whether students would be allowed back on campus, Chapman said the University has five different plans they are considering for the spring semester. The majority of the plans involve a delayed on-campus move-in for students.

Chapman explained the University planned to delay the start of its spring semester “to have more time” and “to not go first this time.”

She said there are questions about bringing students back to campus and teaching in-person classes.

In reference to a timeline for when spring semester plans would be finalized, Chapman said, “Things are moving quickly.”

Chapman then discussed how she and her co-chairs meet with the policy implementation team twice a week.

“What we’re asking for is for the provost and chancellor to be there,” Chapman said. “And we’re going to ask them to simply listen to the Faculty Council’s conversation about what’s on people’s minds for the coming spring.”

The Faculty Executive Committee is scheduled to meet again on Oct. 19.