Kenan-Flagler Business School welcomes its latest class of undergraduates

20191111_Brown_KenanFlagler100_5.jpg
A peek down the spiral staircase of Koury Auditorium of UNC’s Kenan Flagler Business School, which admitted the newest class of students into its undergraduate program on Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020.

UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School admitted the newest class of students into its undergraduate program on Wednesday. 

This year's overall acceptance rate was 55 percent, Anna Millar, assistant dean of the Undergraduate Business Program, said. Millar said the new class is 43 percent female, 18 percent underrepresented minorities, 12 percent first-generation students and 8 percent Carolina Covenant Scholars. 

The median GPA was 3.8, which Millar said is higher than usual. But she said this is likely elevated due to the pass-fail policies implemented last spring. 

As the business school welcomes its newest undergraduates, its leaders and students are looking toward what the school's future will look like. Starting at Kenan-Flagler during a pandemic poses unique challenges, such as an online orientation and instruction. But incoming students are still looking forward to getting started in the major, despite any obstacles. 

Kenaz Flores, a sophomore business administration major and new admit into the school, said she is excited to begin taking classes in her major. Now that she's been accepted, Flores is looking into the school's requirements.

“So far, I’ve taken mostly general education requirements and business prerequisites," Flores said. "I haven’t really thought about what classes I need to take for my major, or other business school requirements.”

Devin Street, a sophomore business major, is another member of the newly admitted class. He said he is excited to dive deeper into the program — especially since he currently owns two businesses and is looking to gain more experience. 

"I think the best way to do that is to take more business classes, which I can take once I’m in the B-school," he said. 

Street said joining the business school during COVID-19 wasn't the ideal way to start. Still, he feels more used to Zoom and online learning after UNC went remote in spring and fall 2020. 

“If that continues next semester, I don’t think it will be too big of an obstacle," he said. 

Millar said she believes the business school is well-equipped to face any potential challenges presented by COVID-19. The business program already had an online MBA program for several years, she said, meaning that Kenan-Flagler faculty are well-versed in remote instruction. 

“If (remote learning) continues in the spring, we feel that we are well-prepared to provide an excellent learning experience," she said. 

One change for the business school in light of COVID-19 is its fully-online orientation program Spark. This will be the school's second time conducting this orientation, and Millar said the objectives remain the same — to congratulate students, build excitement, create a sense of community and prepare students for the program. 

Another change Millar discussed was to the business program’s core curriculum. She said the core curriculum of the business program has not been revamped in nearly 10 years, and this class will be the first to experience the new curriculum. 

Millar expressed her excitement for this year’s incoming class. She said the new students are top performers who are also incredibly diverse. 

"I use the term diverse in a very broad sense, in terms of academic interests, backgrounds, extracurriculars and work experience," she said. "Across the board, they are a group of incredibly talented and incredibly diverse students.”