Campus Safety Commission members discuss improving active shooter response on campus

IMG_1717.PNG

Screenshot from the Campus Safety Commission meeting held over Zoom on Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2020.

An Alert Carolina message informed the campus community that an armed individual was near campus on Oct. 30. But the alert set off was the result of an individual’s leg brace being mistaken as a rifle by multiple people, UNC Police Chief David Perry said at a meeting Wednesday. 

The Campus Safety Commission discussed concerns about University police's response at its meeting. Committee members also addressed the reopening process for the spring semester.

What’s new?

• Perry presented on the necessity for transparency and campus updates, specifically in regard to the Alert Carolina message.
    • On Oct. 30, University police received multiple calls with concerns about an armed individual on campus. Perry said the person was actually wearing a leg brace near the Ambulatory Care Center that was mistaken for a rifle. 
    • Perry also acknowledged the communication gap in using the term ‘ACC,’ in abbreviation for the Ambulatory Care Center. 
    • “Continuous improvement is our goal, and ‘ACC,’ those letters should not have been used, and we should have spelled out specifically what area,” Perry said. “I've lived through an active shooter event before when people were significantly harmed. I know how important being clear and concise is.”
    • Co-chairperson Jim Herrington, a professor in the Department of Health Behavior, also said it is important for adults and authority on campus to understand that their experience with active shooter events may not trigger them as much as students who have lived through news of active shooters since childhood. 
    • “It's really important to have that closure and understand that there isn't this anxiety that's provoking them,” Herrington said. “For younger people, that's truly a real thing. It's not just some existential threat. It's a true thing.”
    • Perry also said campus police is working to safely prevent any unrest as a result of the election and its aftermath. Perry gave advice on how to handle unrest to campus community members.
    • “Be aware of your surroundings, don't be fearful, but be vigilant and immediately report behavior that anyone feels is threatening, intimidating or trying to incite someone,” Perry said. 
  • Chairperson of the Faculty Mimi Chapman attended the meeting to debrief the commission on spring safety and bringing students back to campus.
    • Chapman said the Campus & Community Advisory Committee has been talking with schools such as North Carolina Central University to understand how a successful reopening can take place. She said she learned NCCU’s faculty had more involvement with students.
    • “One thing I noticed was that there was a lot less distrust of the administration than there is on our campus,” Chapman said.

What does the commission do?

• The Campus Safety Commission was formed in 2019 in the wake of events following the removal of Silent Sam, in order to bridge the “crisis of trust” between the community and campus police.
  • The commission serves to assess campus safety in regards to the safety climate and culture.
  • The commission members consist of students, faculty, staff and community members. Members are elected and serve for two academic years.

What’s next?

• Student commission member De’Ivyion Drew will be sharing information on police procedures and improving the safety for all campus community members with committee members and Perry within the next week.
  • The commission’s next meeting on Dec. 2 will be its last meeting before the campus reopens in January. The next meeting will revolve around the University reopening process. 

Find other coverage of the Campus Safety Commission here.