'So much at stake': Students prepare for Election Day

20201015_Katsanis_Early-Voting5.jpg
Volunteer pollworker Natalie Szogas hands a sample ballot to a pair in line to vote early at Chapel of the Cross on Franklin Street on Thursday, Oct. 15, 2020.

As Election Day approaches, students are making plans to get to the polls. And for the night of Nov. 3, students are preparing how to get through the upcoming news cycle. 

Ethan Boyd, a sophomore media and journalism major, said he will keep track of the election through Twitter and news sites that cover the results.

“It’s a little scary thinking about what's going to happen and how the subsequent days after are going to unfold,” he said.

While students make plans for Election Day, they also look ahead to the potential outcomes — and what it would mean for the next four years. 

Boyd said President Donald Trump’s re-election would have a massive effect on his life and his family members’ lives, like with potential changes to the Affordable Care Act. For that reason, he said, it was important for them to vote during this election.

Avery Ferreiro, a sophomore majoring in psychology, said she has already voted and will be watching the results as they come in. 

But, if it becomes too stressful, Ferreiro said she will have to stop tracking the results until they become more conclusive.

Ferreiro said this is her first time voting in a general election — and though her experience was pleasant, the environment at the poll did not match how consequential the situation was. 

Ferreiro left knowing she had done her part to make a change in the U.S., she said. She said she will likely remember voting for this election for the rest of her life.

“While I have a preferred candidate, I think that no matter who wins, there is going to be a continued period of unrest in this country,” Ferreiro said. “I would like to believe that after this election, we as a country can start to depolarize, but I know that will not happen overnight, if at all, which makes me sad.”

Sophomore Colton Browder said he plans to spend Election Day waking up at 7 a.m., going to a poll station at 7:30 a.m. and poll greeting for 12 hours. 

Afterward, he will watch the election results with his roommate.

“There’s so much at stake for people, both myself and people I care about, things like health care, climate change and racial justice,” Browder said. 

Browder works as a campaign consultant for a state House candidate. He said he hands out campaign literature and answers questions people have, as well as persuading them to vote for the candidate.

“Campaigns are how we get good folks elected into government,” Browder said. “I think we’re in an awful shortage of that right now.”

Looking forward, Browder said he is worried about the future of the U.S.

"I think it should be upon all folks at UNC to get out and vote for somebody who is going to help protect the rights of their fellow students both up and down the ballot, not just presidentially," Browder said. "We're at a very critical juncture in our country right now."