Four UNC women's sports teams unveil spring schedules

!20201031_McGinnis_VBvsVirginia-2.jpg
UNC Junior Annabelle Archer (5) sets the ball at the volleyball game against Virginia on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2020 at Carmichael Arena. The Tar Heels won 3-1.

Four UNC women’s sports teams — volleyball, lacrosse, golf and tennis — announced their upcoming schedules for the spring semester on Tuesday.

Volleyball

Having closed out the fall portion of its campaign with a 6-2 record, the UNC volleyball team will begin its spring regular season slate with a Feb. 13 exhibition match at North Carolina State, followed by two nonconference matchups against Appalachian State and East Carolina.

The team’s conference schedule starts with a trip to Syracuse to take on the Orange on March 5 and Clemson the next day, also in Syracuse. The Tar Heels will follow that with a trip to Atlanta the next week to first take on Boston College, then Georgia Tech the day after.

UNC’s only two home matches of the conference season come on March 19 and March 21, when the Tar Heels will take on Wake Forest and Notre Dame, respectively. They’ll then go to Pittsburgh to take on Florida State and Pittsburgh before heading down to South Florida the following week to face off against Louisville and the hosting Miami Hurricanes.

Women’s lacrosse

After finishing last season ranked atop the Coaches Poll, the UNC women’s lacrosse team will start this season with a six-game home stand beginning on Feb. 13 against James Madison. The rest of February will see the team face off against Florida, High Point, Duke and Vanderbilt before the home stand concludes on March 6 against Boston College. 

The Tar Heels will then face Virginia Tech twice consecutively in Blacksburg on March 11 and 13, followed by a road game against the Louisville Cardinals on March 20. They’ll then head home to face Mercer on March 27 and Syracuse on April 3 before visiting Notre Dame on April 10.

The last three games of the regular season are back-to-back home games against Virginia on April 16 and 18, followed by a season finale in Durham against Duke on April 23, as well as the ACC Tournament set to begin the next week.

Women’s golf

The first tournament for the North Carolina women’s golf team will be the Moon Golf Invitational, hosted by the University of Louisville in Melbourne, Florida, from Feb. 14-16.

The Tar Heels will then play nearly a month of the season in South Carolina, playing in three separate tournaments:

• the Palmetto Spring Invitation in Charleston, from Feb. 21-22
  • the Gamecock Intercollegiate in Columbia, from March 1-3
  • and the Brair Creek Invitational in Kiawah Island, from March 15-16.

Up next is a quick trip to Raleigh for the Big Four Challenge on March 20, hosted by N.C. State. The team will then close out the regular season at the University of Virginia’s Cavalier Match Play in Charlottesville, from April 6-7.

The ACC Championships are set to take place in Greensboro from April 15-18, with NCAA Tournament play beginning in mid-May.

Women’s tennis

The UNC women’s tennis team has a jam-packed January, with the time from Jan. 15-23 featuring the three-day UNC Invitational and home matches against UNC-Wilmington, Notre Dame and a joint match against Old Dominion and Mississippi. The Tar Heels will then play Georgia away on Jan. 30 before traveling to Stillwater, Oklahoma, from Feb. 5-7 for the ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championship.

The schedule continues with a home match against UNC-Charlotte and Appalachian State on Feb. 16, away matches against Virginia Tech and Virginia on Feb. 19 and Feb. 21, respectively, and a four-game home stand against Louisville (Feb. 26), Notre Dame (Feb. 27), Miami (March 6) and Florida State (March 7). 

Two road matches against Clemson and Georgia Tech on March 12 and 14, respectively, will be followed by another lengthy stretch of home games against William & Mary (March 17), Duke (March 19), Campbell (March 23), Wake Forest (April 1) and N.C. State (April 3).

The dense season will conclude with road trips to Syracuse (April 9) and Boston College (April 11). 

@pjdaman12