UNC wrestling's season opener against Campbell postponed due to COVID-19

20200110_Edwards_wrestlinguncprinceton_RAW-1016.jpg
UNC redshirt junior Kennedy Monday and Princeton sophomore Grant Cuomo wrestle in weight class 165 on Friday, Jan. 11, 2020 in Carmichael Arena. No. 17 UNC defeated No. 12 Princeton 25-11.

The UNC wrestling team's season-opening meet has been postponed due to unspecified coronavirus-related issues within the team.

"North Carolina's season-opening wrestling match against Campbell on January 1 has been postponed because of COVID-related protocols within Carolina's team," the team said in a press release.

The meet against Campbell University, originally scheduled for Friday at 6 p.m., will be rescheduled at a later date, according to the release.

Campbell head coach Scotti Sentes said he knew the teams were excited to compete, but this situation requires being able to adapt.

"We will do everything we can to make this dual happen when the time is right," he said in a statement Friday.

The last time the Tar Heels wrestled together competitively as a team was a season-ending loss to the Arizona State Sun Devils in February 2020. 

Though the team has been able to work together in practice during the pandemic while following social distancing guidelines, they will now have to wait another two weeks to open their season, scheduled for Jan. 15 against Virginia Tech at Carmichael Arena.

The team has not announced any possible dates for the rescheduling of its meet against Campbell.