UNC to increase campus police staffing on Inauguration Day

Chief David Perry presented UNC Police's plan at a meeting of the Campus Safety Commission

20200829_Katsanis_police.jpg
A police car parked on Franklin Street flashes its lights on Saturday, Aug. 29, 2020.

UNC Police Chief David Perry informed the Campus Safety Commission on Jan. 13 of Campus Police’s plans for preparation for the upcoming Presidential Inauguration on Wednesday.

Following the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, the FBI and law enforcement officials around the country are working together to disseminate information about safety concerns from Jan. 16 to 20, Perry said.

Do we know of any active threats?

• As of Jan. 13, no active threat against the University had been detected by police, Perry said.
    • “There is zero chatter about the University world or the college world being discussed or disseminated. The focus is our state capitols,” Perry said when asked about targets for violence.
  • At the University, he said all avenues of information, such as social media postings, are being monitored closely, as well as any information brought forth from students, employees or faculty.
    • “Any concern is of significant concern at this moment,” Perry said.
  • There have been no requests, as of Jan. 13, for physical assistance or personnel by North Carolina's Capitol Police to UNC, as has happened in previous years, Perry said.

What is UNC Police's plan?

• “We’ve already implemented a plan to increase our staffing and work with local and state authorities as needed during that time of importance,” Perry said about the days of Jan. 16 to 20.
    • Perry said he expects his team to conduct themselves appropriately, maintain calm and exhibit professionalism during this critical time.
  • Perry said on the day of the Capitol insurrection, UNC Police increased its police presence in “areas of conflict,” and there were no incidents on campus that day.
  • “We are definitely connected to what’s happening, and we will do our very best to maintain the safety and integrity of our campus community,” Perry said.