Remote and in-person classes canceled Thursday due to incoming winter storm

UNC will go into Condition 2 suspended operations starting at midnight

well

The Old Well, a popular UNC monument, pictured on Wednesday, April 19, 2017. 

UNC will go into Condition 2 with suspended operations and canceled classes starting at midnight, in response to forecast winter storms and expected power outages, according to an Alert Carolina message Wednesday night. 

The University will remain in Condition 2 until midnight Friday. No classes will be held either remotely or in person on Thursday. 

Mandatory employees must report to work, while all other employees should remain off campus and work remotely if possible. 

Carolina Together testing sites will not be open while the University is in Condition 2. 

UNC joins other local school systems that have reduced operations because of the expected inclement weather. School facilities for Orange County Schools and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City are closed. Orange County Schools will not have remote classes and CHCCS will continue remote learning. 

Town of Chapel Hill officials said residents, including UNC students, should prepare for two to three days without power. The area could see between 1/4 and 1/2 inches of ice accumulation. 

For more information about operating changes and preparations across Orange County, click here.