Following Franklin St. rush, faculty have option to delay return to in-person class

20200914_Young_Chem_Test_Formatting_Change-7.jpg
DTH Photo Illustration. Faculty have been given the option by the university to continue online teaching until Feb. 17th due to COVID-19 concerns.

Faculty set to teach in-person classes can delay a return to the classroom until Feb. 17, following the rush on Franklin Street Saturday night. 

UNC will continue to officially begin the return to in-person classes for undergraduates tomorrow. But faculty members have the option to continue remote learning this week, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and Provost Bob Blouin said in a campus-wide email Sunday night. 

After UNC's win over Duke in men's basketball, hundreds of students headed to the intersection of Franklin Street and Columbia Street to celebrate.

In the message, Guskiewicz and Blouin said the Office of Student Affairs has already received hundreds of student conduct complaints connected to the celebration. 

"Those leads will be evaluated and students found to have violated our COVID-19 Community Standards will be subject to developmental or disciplinary action," they said in the message.