Editorial: The legacy of Our Three Winners

20200211_Pack_Deah_Day-10.JPG
It has been six years since the deaths of Deah Barakat, Yusor Abu-Salha and Razan Abu-Salha. This memorial at the Adams School of Dentistry honors Deah and Yusor, who were dental students.

Six years ago, our community suffered a great loss. 

On Feb. 10, 2015, Deah Barakat, Yusor Abu-Salha and Razan Abu-Salha were murdered, shot execution-style by their neighbor in an unspeakable act of hate. 

"The weight of this tragedy still rests heavy on the hearts of Muslim North Carolinians and has a unique impact upon the UNC Muslim community," Anum Imran, president of the UNC Muslim Students Association, said. "But above that grief is the memory of the lives Deah, Yusor and Razan lived."

Known for their selflessness and commitment to service, Deah, Yusor and Razan were three of Chapel Hill's brightest lights. 

In 2018, the Town of Chapel Hill officially declared Feb. 10 Our Three Winners Day to honor the lives we lost. The Town’s proclamation encourages residents to embody the spirit of Deah, Yusor and Razan through service to each other and the community. 

In the fall, the Adams School of Dentistry celebrates DEAH Day in honor of Deah and Yusor, who were both dental students, and their passion for serving the community. However, the University itself largely chooses to remain silent on the anniversary of their deaths. 

"Their dedication to service and community, the light that shines from within their legacy, is an incredibly powerful source of comfort for each of us," Imran said. 

This loss is a constant and traumatic reminder of the Islamophobia that dominates our country. Deah, Yusor and Razan were taken from us far too soon. Today — and every day — we choose to embody their spirit and remember their lives. 

Below is a list of some articles The Daily Tar Heel has published about Our Three Winners. Take time to learn, remember and appreciate: 

@dthopinion

opinion@dailytarheel.com