Thursday March 4th

Op-ed: Student government needs you

<p>"[Being in a fraternity] is not the only aspect of my identity, and I think that, quite frankly, I want to be able to display the different aspects of not only myself and what I’ve done at Carolina, but also what I want to be able to do with the Student Body," junior student Reeves Moseley said outside of the UNC Center for School Leadership Development on Friday, Feb. 7, 2020. "I think that just displaying me in front of PIKA is going to misconstrue the fact that what I am trying to do is not completely intertwined with PIKA, and that is again, not the only aspect of my identity." Moseley, who is running for Student Body President, came out to the UNC Board of Trustees meeting to stand with the students from Eastern Carolina University in protest of the misuse of authority by ECU Board of Trustee members Robert Moore and Phil Lewis.</p>
Buy Photos Student Body President Reeves Moseley poses for a portrait outside of the UNC Center for School Leadership Development on Friday, Feb. 7, 2020.

On April 7, 2020, in the middle of North Carolina’s COVID-19 shutdown, UNC’s student government leaders formally took office. When we ran for election in early spring, the coronavirus was only a whisper; by the time we started our term, it was clear that the Carolina community was facing one of the greatest challenges in its 231-year history.

Over the past year, we have worked tirelessly on behalf of undergraduate, graduate and professional students to ensure student voices are heard and respected in University affairs. While it has been a demanding responsibility, it has also been one of the most rewarding we have undertaken in our lifetimes. 

But to continue this good work, we need you. We need your talent, your leadership and your ideas. We need your grit, your persistence and your compassion. We need the wealth of knowledge and personal experience Carolina students bring to our campus, to lead our community to a better future beyond COVID-19 and to advocate on behalf of students’ needs for the years to come. 

We know that this year has been difficult for all of us and that achieving meaningful change at times seems impossible. However, the future of the University is never on one person’s shoulders. Undergraduate, graduate and professional students can work together to create a more just and inclusive community that elevates UNC to higher standards of excellence. 

We call on all Tar Heels to consider a leadership role in undergraduate or graduate/professional student government. All of you bring important and unique skills to the Carolina community, and your talents are essential to the future success of our University. Please visit elections.unc.edu for more information on the election process, including upcoming deadlines. 

Even if you decide elected office is not for you, there will be opportunities after the election to apply for appointed positions. We also encourage you to vote on Election Days, Feb. 23 and March 2, to decide who will lead us into the new year. Elections will take place electronically through HeelLife.

As our alma mater says, “Though the storms of life assail us, still our hearts beat true.” We are counting on you, Carolina, to steer us through this storm. We know you are up for the challenge. 

Hark the Sound,

Reeves Moseley, Student Body President

Ryan Collins, Graduate and Professional Student Federation President

Black History Month Edition