Preview: Breaking down UNC football's three class of 2022 committed recruits

20191016_Carter_FootballvDuke-1-2.jpg
Head Coach Mack Brown and Offensive coordinator Phil Longo celebrate UNC's win on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. UNC defeated Duke 20-17.

In the world of college athletics, 2022 is much closer than it seems. The UNC football team has already begun its recruitment for the class of 2022, receiving commitments from three players, all of whom hail from Virginia and received multiple offers from other top-20 programs.

Head coach Mack Brown is no doubt a factor in the increased interest in UNC football. Since his return to the Tar Heels in 2018, the team’s recruiting class rankings have skyrocketed from 30th in 2019 to 14th in 2021, per 247Sports. 

Due to COVID-19, two of these players have been unable to see the field since their sophomore years, since the Virginia High School League pushed back the start date of football to spring 2021. We’ll have to see what this atypical season will hold for these recruits as they begin their junior year of play.

Tayon Holloway

UNC celebrated the holidays with a Christmas Day commitment from Tayon Holloway. A native of Virginia Beach, Holloway is a four-star recruit who the 247Sports Composite ranks as a top-five player in Virginia and 15th nationally at the cornerback position.

With over a dozen offers from major programs, such as Alabama, Florida State and Penn State, Holloway’s decision shows how UNC’s recruiting prowess is on the rise.

As well as being a cornerback, Holloway doubled as a wide receiver in high school and led his team with 69 receptions for 814 yards as a sophomore. Holloway has the speed to track long crossing patterns and will likely gain strength in his junior and senior seasons, according to 247Sports.

Holloway's athleticism runs even deeper than that since he competed in the long jump for his high school track team. He was recruited by fellow Virginia Beach native and Tar Heel cornerbacks coach Dré Bly, who has the potential to turn Holloway into a strong member of UNC's secondary. 

Tychaun Chapman

Tychaun Chapman, another recruit hailing from Virginia Beach, played at Holloway’s conference-rival high school, Princess Anne, as a wide receiver. 247Sports ranked the four-star recruit as the seventh-best prospect in Virginia, and the ESPN Junior 300 has him at No. 53 overall.

Chapman was also highly sought after, with over 20 offers from significant programs, including Alabama, Oregon and USC. Chapman was UNC's first recruit for the 2022 season, committing just six days before Holloway.

While in high school, Chapman competed on the track and field team and ran the 55 meters in 6.4 seconds. His speed will help him shake defenders coming off the line, while he can also act as a deep threat who will allow UNC to stretch the field. As a sophomore, Chapman racked up 1,300 all-purpose yards as well as 15 touchdowns.

Tony Grimes, the first-year breakout cornerback and UNC's first five-star recruit in over a decade, was a former teammate of Chapman’s.

Trevyon Green

Ranked as No. 16 overall in the state of Virginia, Trevyon Green has the potential to have a strong presence in the Tar Heels’ offensive line. Green received several offers from UNC’s ACC foes including Pitt and Virginia Tech but committed to the Tar Heels on Jan. 21.

Coming to UNC from Colonial Heights, Va., Green is a three-star recruit who matches what Brown has been looking for on the offensive line.

Brown has recruited two offensive tackles for the class of 2021, both being well over six feet tall. Green stands at 6-foot-7 and weighs in at 338 pounds, down from over 400 earlier in his high school career. This transformation shows his commitment to not only his health but also to playing at a higher level. Green reclassified from the class of 2021 to the class of 2022 to focus on his playing ability and weight loss.

@elizaahart