UNC opens up purchase options for 2021 football season tickets

20210212_Bittenbenderssports-football-season-ticket-explainer-6
State health and safety guidelines will continue to be followed this upcoming Carolina football season. Fans will again be given several options to donate or receive refunds for tickets if stadium capacity is limited.

With opening kickoff in Kenan Memorial Stadium scheduled for Sept. 11, season tickets are now being sold through the Carolina Ticket Office for the 2021 football season.

Season tickets can now be purchased online or by calling the UNC Ticket Office, which is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

With the North Carolina football team returning many key pieces from last year's Orange Bowl qualifying squad, there is plenty of excitement surrounding the program entering the new season.

Similar to last year, there are still many unknowns surrounding how COVID-19 protocols will affect in-person attendance policies.

UNC plans to follow local COVID-19 guidelines while selling tickets for the 2021 season. Kenan Stadium's 2020 COVID-19 policies saw many restrictions, including mandatory mask wearing, social distancing and capacity in the stadium being limited to just seven percent. For last year's season opener against Syracuse, there were no fans allowed in the stands. 

Last season, tickets for limited capacity games were given in order of priority, which excluded season ticket holders who were not Rams Club members and the general public.  

While it is unclear what could happen in the fall, it is likely that certain restrictions will remain in place for the upcoming season. UNC will follow local and state guidelines as it did during last season, meaning that masks could still be a requirement and that capacity limits could again be in play. 

Ultimately, the guidelines in place when college football returns in September are going to determine how the season will roll out.

If local guidelines require people to wear masks, that is going to be a requirement during the games. If stadium capacities are allowed to increase, more UNC fans will be able to attend games. If the plan to allow fans in the stands does not work out in accordance to COVID-19 guidelines, there are alternative options for fans who purchased season tickets.

The policies in place for season ticket holders if capacity for home games is decreased are the same as last season. The options fans have include donating season ticket purchases to the UNC athletics department, rolling ticket purchases over to the 2022 season or getting a full refund.

Full capacity for Kenan Memorial Stadium is about 51,000 seats. The prices for season tickets range from $195 to $465, depending on the location of the seats. Fans also have the option to pay the total in one payment or split it in a four-month payment plan. 

Ahead of the 2021-22 college football season, there are many unknowns. Fans, players and coaches alike are going to have to be flexible in following COVID-19 guidelines.

Despite the uncertainty, UNC is a team with lofty expectations entering 2021. The Tar Heels finished in the top 25 of the final coaches poll for just the second time since Brown's departure in 1997, and North Carolina is returning a Heisman-hopeful in quarterback Sam Howell, who will be entering his third year under center for UNC. 

More in Sports

More in Football

More in University