No. 2 UNC men's lax wins first road game of season against No. 16 Richmond, 14-9

Brian Cameron Denver
UNC attackman Brian Cameron (19) fends the ball against Denver midfielder Danny Logan (19) during UNC's 12-10 home loss against the University of Denver on Saturday, March 3, 2019.

The undefeated No. 2 North Carolina men’s lacrosse team (4-0) travelled to Richmond, Va. on Sunday for its first away game of the season. The Tar Heels defeated No. 16 Richmond (0-2) by a final score of 14-9 to continue their winning streak. 

The 3-0 Tar Heels took on an 0-1 Richmond Spiders team at 2 p.m. that Sunday afternoon. Richmond’s Dalton Young scored the first goal with 13:28 left in the first quarter. UNC quickly responded with a goal of its own only a minute afterwards, scored by senior attackman Chris Gray and assisted by junior attackman Jacob Kelly. Richmond broke the tie with another goal with 5:57 left in the quarter. Sophomore defenseman Matt Wright tied things back up for the Tar Heels ten seconds later. The game continued to move quickly, with two more goals for UNC in the first quarter scored by Kelly and senior midfielder Justin Anderson, and one more goal for Richmond, making the score 4-3, Tar Heels at the end of the first quarter. 

UNC dominated the second quarter. Junior attackman Brian Cameron scored two goals, and Junior midfielder Will Nicklaus and senior midfielder Ryan O’Connell each scored one. This was met by only one goal by Richmond to make the score 8-4, Tar Heels at halftime.

The Tar Heels proved they were going to continue to dominate the third quarter when senior midfielder Tanner Cook was the first to score after halftime. The Spiders responded with three consecutive goals that made the score 9-7, with North Carolina still in the lead. UNC scored two more goals to finish off the quarter with a score of 11-7.

The fourth quarter was pretty evenly matched, with Richmond scoring two goals and three UNC players scoring a goal apiece. The Spiders scored last in the game for a final score of 14-9 and a victory for the Tar Heels.

Cameron scored the most goals of any UNC player on Sunday with three goals against Richmond. Captains Anderson and senior midfielder William Perry were close behind him. They each scored two goals a piece and assisted one.

After their goal that broke the 3-3 tie in the first quarter, the Tar Heels were in the lead for the rest of the game. They dominated the following three quarters, outplaying and outscoring the Spiders. Even when Richmond scored three consecutive goals, they were not able to catch up to UNC, and North Carolina held on for the win.

This is the fifth meeting for UNC and Richmond. Prior to this game, the series was tied 2-2, with Richmond having won the last two meetings. Today, the Tar Heels broke the tie for their first win against the Spiders in three meetings. They also continued their undefeated season at 4-0.

The Tar Heels play again next Saturday, Feb. 27 at Dorrance Field against High Point. UNC has already played High Point this year, defeating the Panthers 17-15 on Feb. 16.

@lindseyashe_