UNC women's tennis breaks dual-match win streak record with 5-2 win over No. 14 UVA

20200201_Womens-tennis-Michigan-5.JPG
Then-first-year Anika Yarlagadda returns a volley during her singles match against the University of Michigan at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center in Chapel Hill, N.C., on Feb. 1, 2020. UNC women's tennis defeated UVA to set the program record for consecutive dual-match wins.

The no. 1 UNC women’s tennis (10-0, 1-0 ACC) earned its first conference victory this season with a 5-2 win over No. 14 Virginia (4-2, 0-1 ACC) on the road in Charlottesville. The 28th straight dual-match win broke the record for the longest winning streak in North Carolina history.

North Carolina claimed the doubles point after two Tar Heel duos won their matches. No. 4 senior Sara Daavettila and No. 6 junior Cameron Morra defeated No. 80 Emma Navarro and No. 47 Rosie Johanson, 6-4, while No. 49 graduate Makenna Jones and No. 79 sophomore Elizabeth Scotty took down No. 11 Natasha Subhash and No. 91 Sofia Munera, 6-2. However, UNC could not complete the doubles sweep, as No. 53 senior Alle Sanford and first-year Reilly Tran suffered a 6-4 loss to Vivian Glozman and No. 104 Amber O’Dell.

The Tar Heels got on the board first in the singles matches as No. 120 first-year Fiona Crawley dominated her opponent for a 6-0, 6-1 win. Next to finish was Scotty, who beat Johanson in a 6-1, 6-4 win. 

Tran, the No. 1 recruit from the state of Virginia in last year’s class, avenged her doubles loss with a convincing 6-0, 6-3 win over Glozman, putting UNC up 4-0, and sealing the victory for her squad.

Though the outcome had been determined, there was still tennis to be played, and the Cavaliers refused to be swept in the same manner UNC’s opponents were on Tuesday.

Virginia’s Munera took Anika Yarlagadda to the wire, but the Tar Heel held strong to win 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (6).

The last two matches did not end in the Tar Heels' favor, as Morra fell to Subhash by a result of 6-3, 2-6, 0-1 (6) in a top-15 clash. The match officially concluded after No. 3 Alexa Graham was upset by Navarro in tiebreakers, losing 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (7).

Though North Carolina’s highest-ranked players are all upperclassmen, the best performances in the singles matches came from the team’s newer members. First-years Crawley and Tran both had big wins on Sunday, while the sophomore Scotty was instrumental in the victory, winning her singles match against a highly-ranked opponent in Johanson, as well as her doubles match earlier in the afternoon.

The contest was officially in hand once Tran iced her match with Glozman. Though there were still three singles matches yet to be decided, the 4-0 UNC lead clinched the win for the Tar Heels.

UNC’s fifth-straight win over Virginia not only marks the start of the ACC season, but broke a program record for the longest winning streak in program history. The Tar Heels earned their 28th straight dual-match win on Sunday, a streak that started over two years ago with a Jan. 11 win over Elon.

North Carolina will host the Louisville Cardinals in Chapel Hill on Feb. 26 at 3 p.m., the first of four straight home matches for the Tar Heels.

@cd_avy