Student Recreation Center reopens for spring semester

SRC

Aaron Hamm, a sophomore chemistry major at the time, utilizes the bench press at the Student Recreation Center on Oct. 24, 2018. 

After shuttering its doors in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, UNC's Student Recreation Center began its official reopening on Monday, after being closed for nearly 11 months. 

This reopening plan incorporates several policies and precautionary measures to ensure that there is a safe and healthy work-out environment for campus community members.

Before arrival, a 2-hour time slot reservation must be made up to 48 hours in advance. Reservations are limited to one per day in an effort to allow anyone who desires a chance to visit the facility.

Patrons must arrive before the end of the first hour of the reservation in order to be allowed inside. 

Upon arrival at the SRC, students will be asked to present their UNC One Card as well as confirmation of the reservation. After being asked a few basic COVID-19 screening questions, students will be free to use the gym’s facilities. 

During the appointment time at the SRC, patrons will be expected to maintain at least six feet of distance from those around them. A mask is required at all times in the facility. 

Rams Head Recreation Center, the other primary gym on campus, reopened in the fall semester after North Carolina moved to Phase 2.5 of its reopening plan. 

Bill Goa, director of campus recreation, said the most important aspect of the gym’s reopening is ensuring health and safety. 

“It’s important for all members of the UNC community to understand that the safety of our staff and participants is our number one concern,” Goa said. “We have taken a lot of measures, working with various departments within the University and other agencies to make sure we have a safe opening and environment.”

The Recreation Center is also providing socially distanced group fitness classes.

Coral Levkovitz, a senior studying biology, is a group fitness instructor and leads several of the group fitness classes offered at the SRC. 

“In order to keep the group fitness classes COVID safe, we are spreading students out, making sure they wear a mask, and taking more time in between fitness classes to clean and sanitize everything,” Levkovitz said. “I will also be changing my workouts to offer easier options so that people aren’t having to breathe too hard with a mask on.”

Some students have taken advantage of the SRC’s facilities in the past and are ready to get back to working out.

Christina Valentin, a sophomore double majoring in Hispanic linguistics and political science, said she is excited for the SRC’s safe reopening because it gives more students access to a workout facility. 

“I think it’s important to safely reopen the gym facilities so that students are able to exercise and alleviate stress, especially since right now is a very stressful time,” Valentin said. 

She said that though wearing a mask while working out and having to make a reservation may be a bother to some, she recognizes that these policies are put in place to protect students. 

“If all regulations are met and there is a safe environment then there is no reason to not allow students to use the facility,” Valentin said.