UNC baseball opens road series with 9-3 win over Boston College

20200225_Pack_Baseball_NCA&T-12.JPG
UNC sophomore Danny Serretti (1) bats on Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020 in Boshamer Stadium against NC A&T.

Coming off a loss to Liberty on Tuesday, the No. 14 North Carolina baseball team (11-5, 7-3 ACC) responded with a 9-3 win at No. 21 Boston College (10-6, 2-5 ACC) on Friday. 

In the first inning, UNC came out strong against a solid Boston College team and jumped out to a 3-0 lead. The runs came via a three-run home run by shortstop Danny Serretti, his third of the season and second in as many games.

In the bottom of the fourth, Boston College closed the gap with a sacrifice fly to right field, which plated left fielder Cameron Leary. Through four innings, the score was 3-1.

UNC added another run in the fifth, as the Tar Heels capitalized on three quick walks from Boston College pitching. With the bases loaded, Serretti reached base via a fielder’s choice, which drove in second baseman Johnny Castagnozzi. 

In the sixth inning, the Tar Heels broke the game open. After Dallas Tessar laid down a sacrifice bunt to bring two runners into scoring position, Castagnozzi drove them in with a double down the left field line. Left fielder Angel Zarate followed up with a single up the middle, bringing in Castagnozzi to give the Tar Heels a 7-1 lead.

The Tar Heels extended the lead once again in the top of the eighth, when Serretti ripped a single to center to drive in center fielder Justice Thompson. The Eagles would respond in the bottom half of the inning, as a solo home run and RBI triple made the score 8-3. 

UNC scored its last run in the top of the ninth, and Nik Pry retired all three Boston College batters in the bottom half of the inning to seal the 9-3 victory. 

Austin Love turned in another dominant outing on the mound, striking out eight batters and only allowing six hits in seven innings. With the win, he is now 4-0 on the season. 

Serretti paced the Tar Heels at the plate with a home run in the top of the first inning and five RBIs in the game. Zarate also contributed, as he collected his fifth multi-hit game of the season and extended his on-base streak to 36 games.

The Tar Heels raced out to a fast start and never looked back. Serretti’s home run gave them the early lead, and once the team led by seven runs in the eighth inning, Boston College was unable to claw its way back. 

After losing to Liberty in a mid-week matchup, UNC looked much more like the team that swept Clemson last weekend. The win brings the Tar Heels’ conference record to 7-3, giving the team sole possession of first place in the ACC Coastal standings. 

The Tar Heels will be back in action on Saturday for game two of the series. The first pitch is set for 3 p.m.